News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake light works intermittently

Started by rosey66, July 17, 2014, 11:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosey66

My driver's side brake light comes on intermittently when applying the brakes.  I can't seem to find the wire that's loose (if that's the case) and there's no pattern that I've found in terms of when it works and when it doesn't.  Tail lights work fine when the headlights are on.  Any suggestions?

hemi68charger

turn signal switch.......... Maybe wiggle the lever with the brake applied and see if the light comes on. If you can see, take your cell phone, position it so it is pointed at the rear, turn it on, then go apply the brake and wiggle the lever.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

rosey66

Thanks.  I'll try that.  So if it comes on after wiggling the turn signal lever, do I need to replace the switch?

Dino

Quote from: rosey66 on July 17, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
Thanks.  I'll try that.  So if it comes on after wiggling the turn signal lever, do I need to replace the switch?

Yes.  The switch is around $50 including the cancel cam.  I had the same issue with mine.  When my ds brake light went out I had to lift the lever just a tad to make it go on again.  The contacts wear out. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

66 switch is not the same as the 69 switch....new ones run around $85

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on July 17, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
66 switch is not the same as the 69 switch....new ones run around $85

My bad, I thought they were the same.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rosey66

Thanks for the comments.  The brake lights were working fine last night and didn't falter when wiggling the turn signal lever.  I'll have to keep an eye on it.