News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing inner fender panels

Started by 72Charger72, July 18, 2014, 08:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

I just received the new inner front fender panels for my 72. Whats the best way to remove the old ones. I was told to drill a hole through the weld area and then use that hole to weld the new ones into place? Will that be enough to remove the old ones without damage?
I wanted to check with the forum to verify.
Thanks

Dreamcar

You could drill out the holes without going through the panel that stays on the car, and punch out holes on the new replacement panel. Or drill out through the old panel and the one that stays on the car, and not punch holes in your new panel. Or, do both. It all depends on location and what makes it easier to weld once installing the new piece. Is the engine sill in the car? Can you get to the engine side? Just something to consider.

You may bend the panel that stays on the car a little, just be carefull when muscling the old panel off because it will not just fall off once the spot welds have been drilled. A little hammer and dolly work before installing the new panel should be all that's necessary.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

72Charger72

Yes the engine is out and stripped to the frame so access is very easy...but right I dont want to bend up the existing fender
panel that the new panels get welded to....