News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Toni´s 70 charger rt. The third reconstruction.

Started by Toni, July 16, 2014, 03:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toni

This Black rt charger was purchased from interinsurance exhance automobile club ca at 2011.

There is missing fender tag  and i dont have built sheet also, i´m very grateful if anyone could help to tracking this previous owners or anything info.

Do you have any ideas where or who i can try to ask info.  there is correct vin numbers on title, windshield and radiator support what i have found.

And Thanks for access to your forum  :yesnod:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Welcome Toni! Also the trunk gutter has a VIN stamped on it.  :2thumbs: We want pics! (We love pics!  :lol:)

tan top

hello & welcome Toni  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quote from: b5blue on July 16, 2014, 05:36:34 AM
Welcome Toni! Also the trunk gutter has a VIN stamped on it.  :2thumbs: We want pics! (We love pics!  :lol:)

yep what B5Blue  said  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Toni

Ok :scratchchin:
Here comes the pictures

Now i already changed door panel and the quarter lower front section is on the way. I have better hood also.

I Think that this car was restored in some way after 2005 because i found 2005 manufactured stamp in the door panels. Interior seems nice only things is missing is Rally wheel center cup and the panel below the radio.

And the best part is that There is no Rust :P

And what i see from the engine is edelbrock rpm heads and intake manifold, holley carb. i dont have drive around much, only in the yard.

And what i need is Grille as you can see :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Some chromes i need too, driver side rocker chrome and wheel openings. but i think i can found reproduction.

BananaDan

Welcome!  Good luck on the car!  Don't forget to hop on over to the 1970 Charger Registry and say hi over there as well.

:cheers:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

polywideblock

welcome    :cheers:  wow nice charger   
you'll find 70 specific parts are harder to come by than 68-69 but that comes with the territory owning a unique year model  :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Toni

Thanks ;D

Now i have lover section welded (tig) and hammered as straight as i could.  I have ordered paint and stuff already. Next thing is grinding.

I have a plan that i paint repaired areas myself. I have to save some moneys that i can have whole car media blasted and painted by professional. (may take few years)

No one has not yet recognize this car?   History of this car ends to auction of insurance company  In California.

b5blue

I see an R/T emblem on the back but no door scoops with R/T on them? Is your car an R/T?  :scratchchin: The section of dash below the radio is a part they make only for no A/C cars.

Toni

Scoops come with the car but those are separately.  Not original scoops. There are XS29UOG Vin number

And guy who sold car to me told that this is ac car but that was removed.  I´m not sure how he can know that. a lot of parts seems to be new under the dash.

Ghoste

You should be able to tell by the firewall if the car had air originally. 

b5blue

Vents on each side of dash at the bottom ends and a big round hole in the passengers firewall where the fan stuck through are clues. Your missing the polished stainless steel trim for around the brake and gas peddles? I have a 70 Heater-A/C assembly as a "core for rebuild", if interested you can have it cheap.  :2thumbs: (Most just install new modern ones, that is what I'm doing.)

tor-redaar

So I noticed you're doing what i've planned to do.... graft a 70 front lip/headlight bucket to a 68/69 fender. How did it all work out for you?

Dallas

Toni

I think it would be lot of easier if you have 70 fender where you take parts.

I have made all from straight metal,  outside is fun to do but inner mountings are difficult to get fit.

I have plans that this is just a temporary fender. But if it looked nice then i dont have hurry to change it.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: b5blue on July 27, 2014, 01:26:36 PM
Vents on each side of dash at the bottom ends and a big round hole in the passengers firewall where the fan stuck through are clues. Your missing the polished stainless steel trim for around the brake and gas peddles? I have a 70 Heater-A/C assembly as a "core for rebuild", if interested you can have it cheap.  :2thumbs: (Most just install new modern ones, that is what I'm doing.)

I think the polished stainless steel trim you talk about comes on the A47 S/E Package. LEON.

TUFCAT

Leon is right. Pedal dress up was included in SE package, and not available as stand alone option.

Toni

I noticed that every time when my friend came to visit (he is a car painter) he wreck my plans :scratchchin:

I wrote earlier that i going to paint only areas which i going to repair. Now my friend tell me the cruel truth that i must have to grind all the old paint off
Then we can be sure that all the work not going to be wasted.

Now i have called to few places where they do soda blasting.  And i have one reasonable offer and i have planned to tow my charger to their garage if i can rent a proper trailer.

I have started to disassembly trims and lights. And i´m very happy that there is no a lot off rust :angel: Here are few pics

And the previous owner has grind part of flood to bare metal for some reason, now ihave painted it with por15

And little bit polishing

I like these old car because they are very easy to tear down and reassemble. Only thing that is annoying is that the someone else have did part of the tear down and i dont know where all the bolts goes.

b5blue

Dodge Don

Quote from: Toni on July 16, 2014, 03:52:13 AM
There is missing fender tag  and i dont have built sheet also, i´m very grateful if anyone could help to tracking this previous owners or anything info.

Do you have any ideas where or who i can try to ask info.  there is correct vin numbers on title, windshield and radiator support what i have found.

If you are looking for documentation on your 70 Charger you need to provide your VIN to the 70 Charger Registry so it can be checked.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/index.html

Toni

Thanks to you.  It have been already checked = No match :'(   Maybe i need to change name of my subject :shruggy:

Toni

There you can see that how big area i can grind with just one Wurth nylon grinding wheel. That cost me 16$ and i think whole car takes about 10peaces =160$ +maybe 10hours of messy work.
And the soda blasting offer what i have is some were 400-500$ plus trailer rent fee 100$. 
I can not decide :brickwall:  one thing witch is great with soda blasting is that i dont need to grind difficult corners.

Tell me you opinion?

six-tee-nine

I dont see extreme rust on your car, so why dont you stay at it with the grinding wheel and go from there.

If you want a shell like new then I say blasting it is the way to go. But then you'll need to strip it down entirely and get it onto a rotisserie for easy acces to the underside of the car.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

A member suggested I use a 7-8 inch sander/polisher for stripping the body. I got one and it really helped stripping the car down. I used this: 
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-variable-speed-polishersander-69474.html

Toni

Thanks for advise. 

I still think that i go with soda. maybe next week.  And six-tee-nine: Car bottom looks like new, there is not even dirt.  :shruggy: I´m just wonder that when it is restored. Thats why i think that the soda plasting doesn´t take long.

I crawled under the car and i did find that there is new drive shaft, fuel lines, brakes, fuel tank. I can see product labels hanging there ::)

And next not so nice part:I found nasty groove and a lot of filler between roof and quarter. First i think that i cut it off but then i decide to use tin.

I hope that it last now with out bubbling. at least it will need quite less filler now.

hemi-hampton

Did you use Lead? Are you stripping whole entire car or just the one damaged side? My Opinion, I would just do the one damaged side & not entire car. Just my :Twocents:  LEON.