News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 Overdrive on 493 stroker?

Started by shone190, July 15, 2014, 02:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shone190

Hi guys,

what do you think about A833 overdrive trans with aluminium housing, bolted on 493 stroker (525HP/590ftlbs) in 1973 Charger?

This will be weekend/holiday car, no drag races off course :)

Will it hold this power or not?

Thanks in advance.
Dodge Charger 440 1973, Audi URquattro 4.2l V8

1974dodgecharger

sure if it was rebuilt....the A833 is one tough tranny, but don't rebuilt an engine and not look over the A833 or it will blow up.

don duick

I was told they are NOT a strong box. Try asking ask Rick Eringburg at the moparaction site.

c00nhunterjoe

Nothing was designed for that kind of power from the factory. Odds are though, that you wont be able to utilize that power on the street... ie- traction. If you are running standard radials then i doubt it will break. Thrash it on stickies then i wouldnt be surprised if it breaks.

Cooter

Tryin not to break balls here.....BUT. who the hell wants 650 ft. Lbs. Of torque with a 3.09 first gear?
also, making a statement like "no drag racing, just cruising" and building a 493 stroker kinda cancels itself out. We all know you didn't build that much engine for fuel mileage. Yes, it will live for a little while, but aluminum case trannies are not forgiving when it comes to side loading of gears.
If the OD is all your after, I guess a WIDE ratio OD trans would work...however, remember, when in OD YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN 3RD GEAR AT 70 plus MPH.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: don duick on July 15, 2014, 04:11:26 AM
I was told they are NOT a strong box. Try asking ask Rick Eringburg at the moparaction site.

You are correct. They are not. ( aluminum ones).
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

shone190

Quote from: Cooter on July 15, 2014, 11:41:17 AM
If the OD is all your after, I guess a WIDE ratio OD trans would work...however, remember, when in OD YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN 3RD GEAR AT 70 plus MPH.
I didn't understand this part, what do you mean?  :icon_smile_question:

XH29N0G

The way the 70's OD 4 speeds worked was to flip 3rd for 4th.  4th is 1:1,  the gears on 3rd were swapped around to make it an OD.  That is why the shift linkage tab on the transmissions were flipped (so 3rd would become 4th and 4th would become 3rd).  This was a clever solution for low power vehicles, but not designed for a high power set up.    I had one on a 383 and it worked well.  I have swapped to a 5 speed (OD) since the engine was rebuilt and have been glad that I did.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Troy

Quote from: shone190 on July 15, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
In order to make an OD transmission without building something from scratch, Chrysler used the regular 833 and left 4th gear as the 1:1 ratio (now 3rd gear) and made 3rd into the OD 4th gear. On the outside, this meant that the 3-4 lever had to be flipped but otherwise it bolted in pretty much the same. The downside is that in 1:1 the whole transmission is "locked out" (all gears spinning together) but in OD all gears are engaged. This adds friction and wear since the highest gear typically gets the most use. It's also not a great idea to apply max power in OD for the same reason - you're in a weaker state.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

It appears to be shifted normally, but 3rd and 4th shift lever is reversed. When in "3rd", your actually in 4th.
When in 4th, the trans is running in 3rd gear for OD.

rt green

I've got a 833 od cast iron from an 80's chevy pickup. looks the same as the charger trans. being cast iron do you guys think it'll be a little tougher?
third string oil changer

1974dodgecharger

now that's some weird shit..never understood and I still never do even after you plainly explained it.  when in 4th your in 3rd and when your in 3rd your in 4th...mind as well stay in 3rd.....
Quote from: Cooter on July 15, 2014, 03:59:32 PM

It appears to be shifted normally, but 3rd and 4th shift lever is reversed. When in "3rd", your actually in 4th.
When in 4th, the trans is running in 3rd gear for OD.

rt green

as I understand it when your in a normal 4th gear you are 1 to 1. straight through, no countershaft gears. when in 4th{3rd} on an overdrive trans, you have to use gears from the countershaft to do this. that's what they are using 3rd gear for. if you flip the shift lever , the pattern on the shifter stays the same.   hope I got that right.
third string oil changer

1974dodgecharger

what if Im on on the highway in 4th and want to show off can I down shift to 3rd? 

Either way too late...I did it awhile back downshifted to 3rd, revved, and peeled out, of course the guy next to me in his fox body mustang shit his pants and looked at him with fear.

Kern Dog

The 833 OD came in both aluminum and iron case designs. The iron case is much more durable, but remember that Ma Mopar used these transmissions behind 225 slantys and 318s ONLY. No 360s, no big blocks either. Keep in mind too that the HP ratings of the 225 and 318 were not very high.

Chargerguy74

I may possibly grenade one of these behind my 440 this year. I won't go easy on it. Hopefully nothing comes through the floor.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on July 16, 2014, 12:38:03 AM
I may possibly grenade one of these behind my 440 this year. I won't go easy on it. Hopefully nothing comes through the floor.

I already did  ;D the driveshaft bent my floor.....

shone190

So, the conlusion is to stay with TF727 :) :) :)

Cooter

There are those like my brother who touted a T5 like it was the strongest tranny around until it broke.
yes, I have had a T5 with no upgrades behind a 440's for over 5 years with no problems.

BUT!!! I do NOT beat on it. Period. With a 493, your gonna pound on it. Period. It will never break until your in the worst possible place. That's how it always goes.

shone190

What do you think about Passon Performance A833 with OD?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: shone190 on July 16, 2014, 05:29:46 AM
What do you think about Passon Performance A833 with OD?

It it only for the hemi 18 spline or 23 spline? His 5 speed looks badass and based on feedback is AWESOME!

As for my A833 it was old non rebuilt unit, but engine was rebuilt so something had to give and who knows the history on it before I got it.....A833 are tough.....

shone190

Both of them 18 and 23 spline, are they stronger after Jamie rebuilt them?

Cooter

The Passon unit is a great unit. The pricetag however sucks. $5k by time is all said and done.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: shone190 on July 16, 2014, 06:02:24 AM
Both of them 18 and 23 spline, are they stronger after Jamie rebuilt them?

don't think they are any stronger, but they are built from Jamie only two people I would trust to build are Jamie and brewers to rebuild these A833s.

shone190

So Jamie's A833OD 23 spline will be good choice? :)

The best way is to contact and ask him what he suggest for this engine/car setup.