News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The worst states for rust.

Started by F8-4life, July 14, 2014, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

It has a lot to do with what they put on the roads - not necessarily how much snow falls. Colorado, Utah, Idaho, eastern Washington State, etc. all get a lot of snow but the air is so dry that the rust isn't terribly bad. I don't believe they use salt on the roads. Here we get a lot of ice storms (something I didn't miss AT ALL when I lived in Utah) and all the roads regularly get pretreated with some sort of caustic saline solution that goes airborne and saturates the car inside and out. Several years ago I looked at over 250 Chargers in about a 2 year span (even bought a few) and the worst ones for rust were Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New York. One in West Virginia had nearly eroded back into the earth but I think it had more to do with where it was left sitting than road salt. Next door in Indiana they only use salt up by Chicago so most of the cars seem to survive fairly well. In wet/damp states with lots of trees, if the car sits in/under them for a really long time it will rust on top instead of on bottom. I bought a car from Texas that has a lot more rust than I expected. Mainly because most of the other cars I've seen come out of that area were relatively solid. You can tell a lot about where a car came from just by looking to see if the rust started from the bottom and crept up (salt) or started at the top (window recesses, trunk lips, etc.) and rusted from the inside out once a hole appeared and filled the trunk/floors with water.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Spills over into road conditions as well.  Its worse now than ever but I don't often see the trucks out with a blade down, they all just clear snow with salt instead.  And then in spring we have huge potholes everywhere.

stripedelete

Quote from: Nwcharger on July 15, 2014, 04:21:09 AM
I'm located in oregon and besides our coast which rots cars pretty bad,

That's where sister lives. If your not on that coast you dont get it.  She bought a nice little Arizona Hilux and took it up there. 
The combo of the light Arizona sandblasting and the coast was too much.  It dissolved.

Nwcharger

Quote from: stripedelete on July 15, 2014, 09:42:24 AM
Quote from: Nwcharger on July 15, 2014, 04:21:09 AM
I'm located in oregon and besides our coast which rots cars pretty bad,

That's where sister lives. If your not on that coast you dont get it.  She bought a nice little Arizona Hilux and took it up there. 
The combo of the light Arizona sandblasting and the coast was too much.  It dissolved.

Yea the coastal air can be very unforgiving. I know of a 4 speed hemi Cuda that rotted away in Newport beach. The owner would toss the parts that started falling off on top remaining car. Looked like a mound of scrap with some slot mags. Sad end to a hemi Cuda with less than 5k miles on it.
1969 coronet wagon

LaOtto70Charger

Anyplace using Mag chloride to de-ice the roads like PA does or at least used to.

Chad L. Magee

I did notice a difference going from western Kansas over to central Missouri during grad school.  At the time, I had just purchased a rust-free, mint 1992 extended cab F-150 that had lived it's entire life with an elderly couple in either Kansas or New Mexico (vacations).  Within two years of moving it to Missouri, it was starting to rust out in the rear quarters and bottom rear of the cab.  By the time I left Missouri in 2008, it had rusted thru in the rear quarters, rear fender wells, and 1 inch strip at the bottom of the rear of the extended cab.  This is even with me cleaning it well at car washes (and hand drying) to remove salt right after driving it in snowy roads.  After moving it back to Kansas, it basically has not rusted anymore than it already had.  (My area of Kansas is an grassland desert, which prevents major rust issues most of the time.  Missouri is quite the opposite on humidity levels.)  There was also a pair of 1969 Chargers in Missouri that a friend looked at that had rust thru at the roof level.  They had been in a flood plain and never pulled out.  I wish I would have kept a picture of them as they were that bad.  At least the grilles were still good on them....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Old Moparz

I'm sure this crap doesn't help prevent rust.   ::)

Good thing we don't know what the secret ingredient is or we might want to drink it.

Rural N.Y. Communities Use Fracking Waste to De-Ice Roads

Several rural communities and counties in New York have received permission from state regulators—despite a state fracking moratorium and a warning from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency—to spread fracking waste brine on roads as a de-icer.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Tilar

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 15, 2014, 03:09:52 PM
I'm sure this crap doesn't help prevent rust.   ::)

Good thing we don't know what the secret ingredient is or we might want to drink it.

Several rural communities and counties in New York have received permission from state regulators—despite a state fracking moratorium and a warning from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency—to spread fracking waste brine on roads as a de-icer.

No I didn't read the article, but there is nothing secret about it, it's a salt water brine mixed with sand or aluminum oxide.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Tilar on July 15, 2014, 05:31:17 PM
I'm sure this crap doesn't help prevent rust.   ::)

No I didn't read the article, but there is nothing secret about it, it's a salt water brine mixed with sand or aluminum oxide.

Not really.

http://fracfocus.org/chemical-use/what-chemicals-are-used
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

c00nhunterjoe

Maryland beats Pa for salt use. They lay it on so thick that people pull over and shovel it up!

Old Moparz

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 15, 2014, 08:58:55 PM
Maryland beats Pa for salt use. They lay it on so thick that people pull over and shovel it up!

:lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Davtona on July 15, 2014, 08:38:02 PM

Not really.

Are we nuts?  :faint:

I don't see anything on that list that is exceedingly hazardous (ie. ratings of 4) in diluted quantities in the environment.  Remember, ratings for individual chemicals are in their relatively pure form on MSDS unless specified as such.  Example: Methanol and anti-freeze are poisonous to humans if in high concentration, not so much if properly diluted with enough water....

Old Moparz

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 18, 2014, 10:52:22 AM

Not really.

Are we nuts?  :faint:

I don't see anything on that list that is exceedingly hazardous (ie. ratings of 4) in diluted quantities in the environment.  Remember, ratings for individual chemicals are in their relatively pure form on MSDS unless specified as such.  Example: Methanol and anti-freeze are poisonous to humans if in high concentration, not so much if properly diluted with enough water....

I'll still take a pass on sipping it in small doses, it ain't bourbon.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 18, 2014, 03:50:39 PM

Not really.

Are we nuts?  :faint:

I don't see anything on that list that is exceedingly hazardous (ie. ratings of 4) in diluted quantities in the environment.  Remember, ratings for individual chemicals are in their relatively pure form on MSDS unless specified as such.  Example: Methanol and anti-freeze are poisonous to humans if in high concentration, not so much if properly diluted with enough water....

It was not meant for direct human consumption in the first place, so skipping that is a good idea.  You probably would not like the taste anyway (too much dissolved mineral salts, organic acids, as well as hydrochloric acid).  It was designed to be put into the ground for a reason....

Davtona

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 18, 2014, 05:57:43 PM

Not really.

I don't see anything on that list that is exceedingly hazardous (ie. ratings of 4) in diluted quantities in the environment.  Remember, ratings for individual chemicals are in their relatively pure form on MSDS unless specified as such.  Example: Methanol and anti-freeze are poisonous to humans if in high concentration, not so much if properly diluted with enough water....

It was not meant for direct human consumption in the first place, so skipping that is a good idea.  You probably would not like the taste anyway (too much dissolved mineral salts, organic acids, as well as hydrochloric acid).  It was designed to be put into the ground for a reason....

Rationalize it however you want in your mind. History is full of what seemed like good ideas at the time that later turned out not to be such good ideas. Agent Orange, DDT, Asbestos, Carbon Tetrachloride, the list could go on for quite a while. By the time you do find it diluted in the water table its to late and the perpetrator's will be long gone.   

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Davtona on July 18, 2014, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 18, 2014, 05:57:43 PM

Not really.

Rationalize it however you want in your mind. History is full of what seemed like good ideas at the time that later turned out not to be such good ideas. Agent Orange, DDT, Asbestos, Carbon Tetrachloride, the list could go on for quite a while. By the time you do find it diluted in the water table its to late and the perpetrator's will be long gone.   

I never said it was a good idea to use it in that manner, just that it was designed for that purpose (by the oil industry and not for direct human consumption).  Again, none of the chemicals I see on that list in that fracking solution has a MSDS rating of 4 in diluted quantities with water.  Whether or not fracking ends up being a good idea is yet to be seen yet.  Yes, I know all about the specific chemicals you mentioned above (Agent Orange, DDT, Asbestos, Carbon Tetrachloride) being bad for the environment/human health in one way or another if used incorrectly.  However, all chemicals are not evil as some would like you to believe.  It is all in how you use/misuse them.  Some of the most toxic poisons have medicinal uses BTW...

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

lloyd3

I grew up there. PA has all the right stuff to kill a car quickly. Long, cold winters, lots of moisture, poorly maintained roads (potholes that could swallow sub-compacts), lots of salt in the old days and mag-chloride now.  Anything older than 10-years there that isn't badly rusted came from out of state.  Before the advent of factory rust prevention techniques in the 80s, cars would last about 5-years.

71ChallengeHer

GPULLER

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 14, 2014, 11:01:47 PM
Hows Wisconsin & Minnesota for rust? :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Minnesota is bad.  Just had a guy stop today with a '10 F150 with rusted out cab corners.