News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

so my car went in the shop on friday.....

Started by Stegs, July 14, 2014, 06:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

its in the shop for the weirdest thing

driving it home Friday, I crossed thru a 4 way stop  and everything was fine until the trans "slipped" from 2nd to 3rd.

going down the road it was fine, drove like normal, but when I got to the next 4 way it did it again....

at this point I had been driving for about 20 min, and went thru other 4 way stops and it was fine.....

anyway, I pull into a parking lot, shut the car off to call my friend who does all my trans/vehicle repairs....

I told him about how my car has been sitting since 85....without being driven....

he says he wouldn't worry about anything major on the 727.....he said if he had to guess over the phone it would need the fluid/filter changed, and get the bands adjusted.....but he said the 727 is a great trans and he wouldn't worry about it.

Well I got off the phone with him and decided to give the fluid a check.....fluid level was low, but just below the "fill" line....but it was darker than normal

called him back and told him about the level and he said no worries, I should be fine for the few miles I needed to get it to his shop

he is going to look at it today, but do you guys have any idea on what it could be?

on the way there it stopped "slipping" ......so basically everything was normal again

im thinking now it could have been just not into "d" all the way or something?  :shruggy:

when I say slipping, it was only 2nd to 3rd....and the engine would rev up....and it would go into 3rd kinda sluggish....

thoughts?

myk

The dark color of the fluid gives cause for concern; it should always be a solid red and not smell burnt.  Did you own the car prior to '85?  If not, there's no telling what sort of life that drivetrain led before you got to it...

Stegs

Quote from: myk on July 14, 2014, 07:51:41 AM
The dark color of the fluid gives cause for concern; it should always be a solid red and not smell burnt.  Did you own the car prior to '85?  If not, there's no telling what sort of life that drivetrain led before you got to it...

car was redone in 85 and parked to work on another project.....history unknown but the guy I bought it from never drove it since he redid it

weird part is it was fine before, then thru 2 stops it acted up, then it was fine driving to his shop....im not to worried...but I just thought I pick everyones brain and get their opinions

green69rt

Stegs

Quote from: green69rt on July 14, 2014, 08:24:59 AM
Wrong type of ATF :shruggy:

maybe...hard to say

its at my friends shop, he is going to do a fluid and filter change, and adjust the bands if needed...I guess I have to wait and see what could be the issue...im wondering if when I crossed over the stop, if it some how bounced and the linkage was not in drive all the way

like I said, I stopped to make a phone call...then drove to his shop about 5 miles away and it was fine...just like it always was...

I wonder if my trans linkage should be adjusted? maybe the kick down cable? something like that?

c00nhunterjoe

I doubt its the type of atf. Ive seen just about every type of fluid from type f to 10w ran in them without problems. Start with a fluid/filter/band adjustment. You will know more when the pan comes off based on what may or may not be floating in it.

Stegs

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 14, 2014, 05:26:33 PM
I doubt its the type of atf. Ive seen just about every type of fluid from type f to 10w ran in them without problems. Start with a fluid/filter/band adjustment. You will know more when the pan comes off based on what may or may not be floating in it.

well I have a update, last night he called me and said he thinks he found the problem

it was the linkage from the carb/motor to the trans......the linkage was loose or not adjusted properly. He adjusted the linkage (something was low?) and now its where it should be and the car drives way better.

He did look at the fluid and filter, and did suggest I have that done....it was down about 1/2 quart and darker than it should. So today he is going to drop the pan, do a new filter, drain the valvebody and the converter, and adjust the bands for me

Im excited to get it back, he said with the linkage adjusted right, it should be a noticeable difference...!!

so nothing serious, but when I hit a bump it must of knocked the linkage loose or bumped it out of place....

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fy469rtse

Nah, when you approached intersection, did you back off the throttle, that's where the mis adjusted linkage kicked in, wouldn't have helped low fluid either,
Good to hear its all good now  :2thumbs:

Stegs

yes im glad it was a simple fix also, although it was 100% fine before, and it only acted 2 times before it went back to normal so I knew it wasn't anything serious

anyway...does anybody know if we a thread about adjusting the linkages in these cars? or how to adjust the carter carbs? not that i need it now, but i want to learn how to work on these older cars and know what im doing

green69rt

Quote from: Stegs on July 15, 2014, 12:17:13 PM
yes im glad it was a simple fix also, although it was 100% fine before, and it only acted 2 times before it went back to normal so I knew it wasn't anything serious

anyway...does anybody know if we a thread about adjusting the linkages in these cars? or how to adjust the carter carbs? not that i need it now, but i want to learn how to work on these older cars and know what im doing

If you don't have a FSM (Field Service Manual)  then you need to get one.  It won't answer all your questions but it's a good start.  I thing it discusses adjusting the kickdown linkage.