News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much should I trust an oil light on my 73 Charger?

Started by WH23G3G, July 13, 2014, 09:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I keep having problems with the aftermarket line kit fitting leaking at my oil pressure switch. I've got a brass tee there so I can use both the aftermarket oil pressure gauge and the oil light. How reliable is the oil light on these cars? I know either way you've got to pull over quick if you have gauge that drops or a light that comes on and sometimes if your stuck in traffic theres no way to do that anyhow. I've got the standard instrument cluster that I pulled from a 1972 Dodge Coronet Georgia State Patrol car running a 400-4bbl too and they were only going with the oil light. I don't know how low the pressure has to be for the light to come on. But I put on a high pressure oil pump when I built the motor. Does anyone here run just an oil light with their motor?

c00nhunterjoe

justcruisin

Nothing wrong with running a light and a gauge. I run the factory gauge and a 35psi switch to a buzzer. Find out what pressure your engine runs at a hot idle and use a suitable switch of good quality. It will be reliable providing the wiring and fittings are in good condition. You may not notice a gauge sitting on zero immediately but you will hear the buzzer or see the light. I don't use a T, I use both ports at the rear of the block. My engine runs around 50psi at a hot idle. Oil pressure problems aren't common but it is better to have it monitored and be alerted to a problem than find out you have a problem when the engine starts makin strange noises and stops.

myk

Well, they did call them "idiot lights" back in the day, because usually when a light went off for a various system on the car it was already too late and extensive damage had already been done.  I would prefer mechanical...

Cooter

Takes just 3 lbs to turn off light. By the time it's on, too late. In a word,  you shouldn't trust it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

justcruisin

That is why I run a 35 pound switch, 3psi is a waste of time. Personally I think connecting the switch to a buzzer will alert you to a problem a lot sooner than anything else. You will need an engine that holds good idle oil pressure though.

flyinlow

Quote from: justcruisin on July 14, 2014, 12:16:57 AM
Nothing wrong with running a light and a gauge. I run the factory gauge and a 35psi switch to a buzzer. Find out what pressure your engine runs at a hot idle and use a suitable switch of good quality. It will be reliable providing the wiring and fittings are in good condition. You may not notice a gauge sitting on zero immediately but you will hear the buzzer or see the light. I don't use a T, I use both ports at the rear of the block. My engine runs around 50psi at a hot idle. Oil pressure problems aren't common but it is better to have it monitored and be alerted to a problem than find out you have a problem when the engine starts makin strange noises and stops.

:iagree:    best answer.