News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Let my Grandson drive the Charger today....

Started by RECHRGD, July 12, 2014, 08:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I know some of you will beat me up for this, but so be it.  My grandson is visiting from Florida.  He has loved the Charger since he was a Toddler.  There are still some very faint tooth marks on the steering wheel from when he was teething and chomped down on the wheel.  He's had a rough time the last several years because of an ugly custody battle and a sociopathic father that has pretty much kept him away from us.  Anyway, he is now sixteen with a drivers license.  During the last week we have done a lot of cruising and car show stuff, loving every minute of it.  Today is his last day and it will be another year before he is here again.  Today we were about five miles away from where I store the car when I pulled over and and got out.  I told him to get in the drivers seat and drive us back to the storage area.  His eyes got as big as silver dollars and his hands were trembling a bit, but he didn't hesitate.  I picked a roads less traveled route back and let him get used to the feel of the car.  Once we were on a long uphill wide road, I told him to check for any other cars, coming or going.  We had the road to ourselves and I told him he could mash the pedal if he wanted.  Within a matter of seconds it was up to 100mph and I told him to let off.  He has not quit smiling since and told me he will remember today for the rest of his life.  I have no doubt he will.
13.53 @ 105.32

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Baldwinvette77

Sounds awesome, i can't wait to drive a charger  :drive:

Sitting in driver seat and making engine noises is a close 2nd though  :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

ws23rt

:2thumbs:  This is the way these cars are passed on to the next caretaker. :cheers:

When I picked up my 09 srt challenger I asked my son to help.  He and his GF drove me to the dealer and from there off we went to my place. Now to get him back to our pick up point I said You need to drive this car.

He was all over it and made a big impression at his work place when we arrived. :cheers:  These moments can sometimes be the ones we wish we had back in the day. :2thumbs:

Bob T

Good day out for the young fella then! Cool.

When I was about 6 or 7 my grandpa took me for a drive around the paddock of my parents farm in my mothers 61 VW Beetle, he was'nt even supposed to be driving as he was really old and had'nt driven for years by that stage.
I guess he just wanted to drive once again and show the boy how and what it was about.
I still remember my Mother chasing after us shouting "No Jim, stop now, you're not supposed to be driving"
I recall we went around the paddock a few times, and it was'nt that slow either  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

flyinlow

I won't beat you up.  What are Grandpa's for.    :2thumbs:

Ghoste

That's an awesome way to reconnect with him and get him involved with the hobby.  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Ok, i will be the one to beat you up..... why did you tell him to lift!?!?!?!  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

familymopar

I can't imagine anyone beating you up for this.  Sounds like a great time and that is what these cars are for, enjoying and especially enjoying with family.  I can not wait until my son is 16 and I can do the same.  One day we will all be long gone and this memory will be alive and well for him.  I think it's great!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

8WHEELER

I wish when I was 16, I was able to tell my friends how cool my Grampa is, and what a cool car he drives   :yesnod:  I got to drive my gramps 72 Cadi 472, I am still waiting for it to hit 100  :smilielol:
Enjoy life Bob, I have driven around with you, and we think and drive pretty similar   :cheers:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

RallyeMike

:2thumbs:  Hopefully he didnt continue his work on the steering wheel  :lol:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

triple_green

My grandpa drove a pea green 6 cyl 1950 plymouth.

I think these cars are made to drive and enjoy and even to be generous with.

I have let my Charger be used for a wedding reception twice.

Also I let my son run my car down the quarter mile (several times) at the High School Drags two years in a row.

So, no I don't think you are crazy.

Relationships > things
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

F8-4life

Damn your trusting to let a 16 year old go 100 mph in an old charger.

Ghoste

Better that he tried it with someone experienced instead of a car full of drunken buddies.  I know completely what you're saying but I think of the stupid stuff I did at 16 without coaching or suggestion or even peer pressure. 

RECHRGD

Quote from: F8-4life on July 13, 2014, 11:42:12 AM

I agree, but, as Ghost said, under unsupervised conditions, I would be much more concerned.  Also, this was not a prolonged high speed run.  I doubt if the whole 60 to 100 to 60 thing took ten seconds.....
13.53 @ 105.32

F8-4life

:cheers:
Quote from: RECHRGD on July 13, 2014, 12:06:47 PM
Quote from: F8-4life on July 13, 2014, 11:42:12 AM

I agree, but, as Ghost said, under unsupervised conditions, I would be much more concerned.  Also, this was not a prolonged high speed run.  I doubt if the whole 60 to 100 to 60 thing took ten seconds.....

Yea that's true. You sure gave him a good story to tell his friends.

jaak

This is Awesome. It's great you did this, and it will always be a memory for your Grandson!

Both my Grandfathers died when I was a kid. My Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family re-married when I was still young. He was actually my 'Step' Grandfather, but he treated me like I was his actual grandson (and he was my Grandfather to me for most my life). Although he didn't have muscle cars, after I was old enough to drive, he would always come by to show me his new Vehicle, and let me drive it. (The final one being a Suzuki pick up, he bought this past October). He always had a lot of guns, and would always take me out to fire them. I also learned a lot of my mechanical skills from him, he could fix anything, I could be working on an appliance, car or whatever, and if I was stumped or had a question, I would always call him and he would have the answer. Not to mention all the other things he did for me, even financially when I was in need (I didn't ask him, he would just know).

He passed away Christmas Day 2013, and I miss him everyday. But that's what I got now is all the memories of all the things he done for me, and we did together. I hope you have many more years left on earth, but when that day comes, I guarantee you he will always reflect back on you and him cruising in your Charger with him at the wheel, and how awesome it was.

Jason

RECHRGD

Quote from: jaak on July 13, 2014, 01:39:55 PM
This is Awesome. It's great you did this, and it will always be a memory for your Grandson!

Both my Grandfathers died when I was a kid. My Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family re-married when I was still young. He was actually my 'Step' Grandfather, but he treated me like I was his actual grandson (and he was my Grandfather to me for most my life). Although he didn't have muscle cars, after I was old enough to drive, he would always come by to show me his new Vehicle, and let me drive it. (The final one being a Suzuki pick up, he bought this past October). He always had a lot of guns, and would always take me out to fire them. I also learned a lot of my mechanical skills from him, he could fix anything, I could be working on an appliance, car or whatever, and if I was stumped or had a question, I would always call him and he would have the answer. Not to mention all the other things he did for me, even financially when I was in need (I didn't ask him, he would just know).

He passed away Christmas Day 2013, and I miss him everyday. But that's what I got now is all the memories of all the things he done for me, and we did together. I hope you have many more years left on earth, but when that day comes, I guarantee you he will always reflect back on you and him cruising in your Charger with him at the wheel, and how awesome it was.

Jason

Thanks for taking the time to post that Jason.. :2thumbs:
13.53 @ 105.32

Patronus

Funny how such a small thing can make such a huge impression in our lives. Ya done good I'd say.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

projectanimal

Great story and happy to hear you shared this experience with your grandson.  He will remember this and tell it to friends for the rest of his life!  :2thumbs:
:cheers:
northwest CT

nvrbdn

awesome. memories last forever. thats what its all about. its not gona be a memory of sitting in the passenger seat, but a memory of my grandpa handed me the keys and we shared a moment.  love it :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House