News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the latest part you have but can't find?

Started by b5blue, July 12, 2014, 06:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I've torn through all my piles of 70 Charger crap 3 times and can't find my drivers bucket seat hinge covers.... :eek2:   Anyone else really good at hiding stuff from yourself?  :lol:
I can't even imagine how you guys totally gut a car down to the bones and keep track of 1,000's of parts for years!  :2thumbs:

myk

I'll find "great hiding places" for things and never see them again.  If I was a chipmunk or a squirrel I'd be dead.

Time for you to start putting that car together!

Baldwinvette77

my original 68 marker light, i thought it would look cool as a dash light to indicate power, CANT REMEMBER WHERE I LEFT IT  :lol:

green69rt

I had a new bolt set for my front valance.  Went to put the valance on but couldn't find the bolts.  One week after I bought and received a second new set, the first new set turned up because I had put in in the box labeled rubber parts instead of the one labeled "nuts and bolts".    :RantExplode:

b5blue

Well now I don't feel so bad, others know my pain!  :lol:

green69rt

Quote from: b5blue on July 12, 2014, 07:58:07 PM
Well now I don't feel so bad, others know my pain!  :lol:

Yeah, there's plenty of pain to go around!

JB400

Best way I've found to find parts is to quit looking for them.  They always show up when I'm looking for something else,

Mine has been the little rod between the hood latch to the lever that activates the latch.

Daytona R/T SE

I've been cleaning out my old junky tin storage shed.

Some of that stuff has been out there for 20+ years.

Small stuff I can understand, like the extra sets of taillights that I found, and the extra rear window stainless trim, etc.

But...

I knew that I had an 8 3/4 rear end out there-drum to drum with the 3:23 suregrip in it. :scratchchin:

So...

Where in the FU%& did the OTHER three rearends com from ?  :shruggy:

...The 727 Torqueflight ?

...The freaking VW hubcaps ?

At this point...

I'm really starting to think somebody is screwing with me.  :slap:

BROCK

If I ever find my "Safe place hiding spot"  I'll be rich :drool5: 

I was really excited about moving 15 years ago - so I could
finally find a few items I had been looking for.  Had the place
stripped bare, did a final walk through & still the parts were
MIA :RantExplode:

Organization rules - but I'm way behind again :icon_smile_dissapprove:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

fy469rtse

Friend of mine doing really well of me, because of all the parts I have bought for 68 69's several times over because I either couldn't remember buying them or couldn't find them,
My next cars are all 70 chargers, so he got the extras, and the experience from from me to do the same jobs, rust repairs are  better the next time, ? Actually WTF you do a better job on your friends cars second time around, ? Is it because its not your car

Rosco

Driver's door hinge bolts.

I had them a week ago.
I'm looking at a box right now with 2 bags in it - one labelled 'Passenger Door Hinge Bolts', which is full pof bolts, and one for the driver's hinge bolts which is empty... No idea where they've gotten too.

Also, not parts, but I do this with tools ALL THE TIME.
I'll put down my ratchet to go over to my toolbox to get a different size socket, come back, "...where's my ratchet...?"
"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

b5blue

Yup me to....I'm spending this hot summer mostly sorting and getting rid of clutter hoping it will help.  :scratchchin:

tan top

it wernt the parts when I was putting mine back together  , it was the tools  ,  put something down one minute ,  next where the hell did it go next minute  :flame:  :image_294343: :scope: :cryin:  :brickwall:  ended up buying double or triple of the popular size sizes of scockets /wrenches that the charger used , for that very reason , still could not find that one I needed most of the time , no joke  :horse:  :lol:   1/4 drive sockets were the worst for vanishing ..... :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

74Rallye

I had to place an extra order to Brewer's during my 4sp swap. Never clean the garage in the middle of a project!

Cooter

3/4 ton truck Dana 60's. WTF? none at Carlisle...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dreamcar

For me, it's rarely a part missing, rather the tool I was using 5 mins ago that somehow walked off.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

green69rt

Mostly I lose my glasses.  Sometimes I just set them down, I think they slowly sink into the surface of my work bench.

Ghoste

All shops have a black hole.  Sometimes things come back from the other side and sometimes not but either way scientists could learn a lot by attaching analytical equipment to rare car parts and needed tools.

Old Moparz

Tools are always growing legs, especially since I have 2 work areas. The garage where the auto related work is & the basement where my wood working area is. Most of the tools specific for each stay where they belong but common tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets, etc., are all over. If I am in the basement & need a tool in the garage I get it, then when I am in the garage & need that tool I can't find it.  :lol:

As far as parts, I try to keep them organized since I have more than one car. Things I buy stay in the box & get labelled, then it goes in the car or on the shelf for that car. The recent thing I couldn't find were the bolts holding the rear, leaf spring perches on my Scamp. Everything so far was easy to locate in one box except for these bolts.  :shruggy:  I ended up raiding my spare nut & bolt bin & had to clean up a set to use. I may have broken them trying to get them out originally, but that was a couple of years ago so I don't remember.   ::)

I am sure there will be things I need & can't find for years to come.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Chad L. Magee

I had a heck of a time finding my 1970 Coronet grilles.  The sad thing is that I knew the room that I put them in two years ago, just not where in there.  After an hour of frantic searching in there, worried that they might have been crushed by heavy stuff, I finally found them in an adjacent storage room.  I must have moved them sometime and forgot.  Needless to say, that storage area is getting a good cleaning this summer (weather permitting, not doing it when it is 100 degrees out).  I still am looking for my tic-toc-tack for one of my 69s.  It was last seen about five years ago in parts storage somewhere in there....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Old Moparz

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 16, 2014, 09:08:25 AM
I had a heck of a time finding my 1970 Coronet grilles.  The sad thing is that I knew the room that I put them in two years ago, just not where in there.  After an hour of frantic searching in there, worried that they might have been crushed by heavy stuff, I finally found them in an adjacent storage room.  I must have moved them sometime and forgot.  Needless to say, that storage area is getting a good cleaning this summer (weather permitting, not doing it when it is 100 degrees out).  I still am looking for my tic-toc-tack for one of my 69s.  It was last seen about five years ago in parts storage somewhere in there....

I have similar fears of stored items getting damaged, but they are from rodents.  :icon_smile_angry:

I took a box off the shelf a few months ago when I was moving a few things & saw it had a hole in it. When I opened it to inspect it, I saw the remnants of a mouse nest & all the droppings & stains from urine. The box had my mint condition, 1968 Charger tail lights in them so I panicked thinking the chrome would be ruined. Fortunately they had plastic around them or they would have been ruined. I started checking other boxes after that & made some minor changes to how certain parts are stored.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ODZKing

When we tore down the 73, parts sat all over the house and there were still pieces I had trouble finding.
That is bad enough, but when you order a piece, then find you've ordered it twice before ... that's bad.
Luckily nothing that was very expensive.  :smilielol:

Rolling_Thunder

Yeah....   that's all fun.      The worst is when you find a random roller bearing from a cluster gear in a 4-speed....      When the transmission is already back in the car.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Lord Warlock

Seems every time I start thinking about putting another part on, its a full search of the garage to find the pieces i need.  Whats worse is when you know you've seen it in the last few weeks, and still can't remember where you put it.   

Current pieces i'm looking for? nuts that hold the rear bumper to the car and fasten in the trunk area.  2nd group, are the parts that the AC lines with the evaporator affix to the fender with.  99% sure they should be in the top of the main toolbox (clamp pieces) Know the evap and hard line is on the wall. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.