News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen passenger mirror location

Started by Ghoste, July 12, 2014, 10:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I know this has been asked a bunch of times before but a quick search turned up nothing.  I just want to be clear before I start drilling, the consensus was that it is in the same area as the drivers side (all relative to the side of course), correct?

b5blue

1st hole 24" back from front edge of door I think.  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Okay, I thought that seemed far at first but was thinking of the last car.  Forgot how far ahead the door edge was by 2nd gen.

b5blue

Hey don't drill yet! I just ran out to check...24 inches to the back side of the mirror base!  :eek2:

Ghoste

Thanks Neal, guessing that is the same placement as the drivers side?

b5blue

b5blue

Yes, I have Ralley Mirrors but didn't change factory hole positions when I swapped from standard style.  :2thumbs:  Key is to clear vent windows for use when open.

jaak

Here's some photos I took years ago of my 69 right door, before I stripped the paint. It had a passenger side mirror from the factory.

The tape measured was  'hooked' to the front edge of the door on the first pic.

Jason

Ghoste

jaak

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: b5blue on July 12, 2014, 12:38:21 PM
Yes, I have Ralley Mirrors but didn't change factory hole positions when I swapped from standard style.  :2thumbs:  Key is to clear vent windows for use when open.
Neal, do you have pictures of the Ralley Mirrors on your car?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

I'll shoot some later for ya. (They are still in black primer but mounted.)

b5blue

Pics... I got lucky, the pass. side is the correct 70 only Ralley Mirror. It's angled more than dr. side so you can see into the blind spot.

myk

Quote from: b5blue on July 12, 2014, 12:38:21 PM

So the mounting holes are the same for the standard and Rallye mirrors?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

b5blue

Yes, see how the pass. side mirror looks more angled and kinda pointed shape.  That's so it works unlike using an A Body Ralley that is shaped/angled just like the drivers side. (B Body being much wider throws off A Body visibility angle.) Both mirrors are 24" to the rear of the base.  (The mounting holes are the same size and placement for ether mirror type.)

b5blue

It was a fluke or lucky break getting that pass side mirror. I didn't know there was a difference when I bought it off eBay. Only later when trying figure out why it looked different from the drivers side, the guys here confirmed 70 B Body only part. Most were body color as that was the big trend then, I've left them primed till final paint. (Rust Encapsulator can be left as a top coat unlike other primers.)

tan top

just for reference , heres my findings , when I fitted a passenger door mirror to mine ,  with a helper i got them to hold the mirror in the factory location ,  with mirror fully adjusted , the rear view weren't that good , &  for seeing the rear part of the quarter , when  backing up & parking in tight spots  , I mean really close etc , rubbish , so  finaly found a position that was good for me  ,  i mounted the mirror forward of the stock location , about 3/8"ish from the vent window glass , or as close to as it can be when it opens  :scratchchin:  & the rear Phillips screw hole about 1/8" -1/4 " i forget  now in towards the side glass ( that's the key one )  *** the mirror base don't look  crooked on the door though by doing this **
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Haha, yeah I've found them pretty useless too on cars I've had in the past with them but I mostly just want it for appearances, I just find the car looks much better to me with dual mirrors.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: b5blue on July 13, 2014, 08:42:20 AM
Pics... I got lucky, the pass. side is the correct 70 only Ralley Mirror. It's angled more than dr. side so you can see into the blind spot.
Thanks, they look good.

keith88

When i did mine i did it by eye to make sure i could see what i needed to.

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

66FBCharger

Quote from: b5blue on July 13, 2014, 08:42:20 AM
Are these 70 only Rallye mirrors available reproduction or do I need to find a set of originals? How would I identify an original ?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

b5blue

A body is same "looking" both sides. B body pass side has greater angled mirror and kinda more pointy shape.