News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Ballast to Single Ballast Charging Wiring Diagram

Started by RoscoePColtrain, July 11, 2014, 01:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

Hey fellas,

I'm a noob so please pardon my noob'ness.  I'm in the process of chasing down some electrical gremlins with my 70 Satellite (the 68 Charger is another issue); she was running and driving for an hour, then while leaving Home Depot, she shut down and would only crank when attempting to turn over.  Finally got her running and as I put it into drive, she shut down.  If I kept the engine revved, she's stay on.  Got home, shut her down and tried to start her again and she was completely dead. 

Any ideas?  I charged the battery and the next day she started on the first crank.

Oh, before I inspect/re-wire, can someone verify my edited charging system (from MyMopar.com) for a single ballast system?

Thanks

Pete in NH

Your single ballast resistor diagram looks okay. I didn't understand your statement of " would only crank when attempting to turn over". If you are saying the engine ignition would only fire and the engine attempted to run only when cranking that is a classic symptom of a bad ballast resistor.

I would try a new ballast resistor and look for an intermittent connection to the blue wire going to the ballast resistor if that doesn't fix it.

RoscoePColtrain

Hey Pete.  When turning the ignition, it would crank, but not start.

I measured the ballast, it measured 0.7 ohms.

Pete in NH

Check and see if you have a spark or not. Pull the center wire out of the distributor cap and hold it near ground while cranking the engine. I suspect you don't have a spark. If you don't have a spark, see if you have 12 volts on the positive coil connection with the ignition switch in the run position. If not, start tracing your way back using your wiring diagram.