News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A833 Overdrive on 493 stroker?

Started by shone190, July 15, 2014, 02:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

fast and prompt in emails......he sends back quickly......

Troy

You guys are confusing stuff...

Passon produces:
* 5-speed Overdrive transmission. It's all new, aluminum, 18 spline input, and is expensive.
* 4-speed Overdrive gear set.  It's all new, has 18 spline input, requires an original case. Price isn't too bad. You can also purchase aluminum housings to lighten it up but that makes it almost the same cost as the 5-speed.

Passon rebuilds/sells:
* 18 spline 4-speed
* 23 spline 4-speed
* 23 spline 4-speed Overdrive

All of these are basically factory rebuilds with the factory benefits/drawbacks. They may put in some parts that are better than stock but won't significantly change the capabilities of the transmissions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RallyeMike

Considering what you can install an 833 OD for, and if you really are not going to hard launch it all the time, I don't see the harm in going for it. I personally think they are a good low buck alternative and run one behind a very healthy 383. If you have money to spend, then there are definitely better options.

The one thing to understand if you are not aware, the 833 OD has a huge drive ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd that makes them not as pleasant to bang around as a close ratio box.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

The ratio drop from 1st to second is the worst. 3.09 to 1.62 ??? Second to 3rd is 1.62 to 1.0 by the way.

1974dodgecharger

So stay away from a OD version a833 then?

RallyeMike

QuoteThe ratio drop from 1st to second is the worst. 3.09 to 1.62 Huh Second to 3rd is 1.62 to 1.0 by the way.

Yeah, I screwed that one up. I guess the main point is that the ratios are wide and if you are used to a close ratio 833, it is not as pleasant to bang through the gears on the OD.

QuoteSo stay away from a OD version a833 then?

It all depends on how much money you have to blow, how bad you want OD, and what performance level you want to operate at. The 833 OD is a compromise. You get what you pay for. I personally didnt want to shell out the big bucks for 5 speed, and though I'm racing it's not drag racing, so it works for me.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

Jaime said he can sell me for 800 bucks with 4th as the OD and 3rd be 1:1  so my 3rd would be like my current 4th. 

Told him i drag once a month and may throw down on highway from 4th to 3rd to get into my power band.

I say not bad.....

Chryco Psycho

I guess I won't add my experience ...
I ran a street strip 440 Duster 11.7 in the 1/4 @ 118 mph , using a floating ladderbar system & 11" slicks running 1.40 60 ' times for a decade , behind the 440 was a alum 833OD from a Volare , , I twisted the factory axles 1/3 of a turn , replaced them with Mark Williams ones & destroyed 4 sure grips by shattering the spider & axle gears , swapped the drivetrain into a 2300 tube chassis cuda , & blew the brg caps off the 489 center section but never hurt the trans ever , weak huh ???

Cooter

I've also witnessed a stock 2bolt 440 on three stages of Nitrous make over 1000 HP on a dyno once too.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 18, 2014, 09:14:32 PM
I guess I won't add my experience ...
I ran a street strip 440 Duster 11.7 in the 1/4 @ 118 mph , using a floating ladderbar system & 11" slicks running 1.40 60 ' times for a decade , behind the 440 was a alum 833OD from a Volare , , I twisted the factory axles 1/3 of a turn , replaced them with Mark Williams ones & destroyed 4 sure grips by shattering the spider & axle gears , swapped the drivetrain into a 2300 tube chassis cuda , & blew the brg caps off the 489 center section but never hurt the trans ever , weak huh ???

Shhhh....more for us

Lol
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002