News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator - Mechanical or Electronic

Started by john108, July 07, 2014, 04:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I am in the process of accumulating parts while restoring my 1968 Charger R/T.
Which would be a better choice?
The original type mechanical or the newer design electronic voltage regulator?

Plumcrazy

I would go with the electronic unit.
No moving parts to stick or wear out.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Pete in NH

If you are using or plan to use any type of electronic ignition system, I would use the electronic regulator. It will give tighter voltage regulation and not generate any voltage spikes like the mechanical regulator. Those voltage spikes can damage electronic ignition systems.

john108

Thank you both
I ordered the electronic unit.

1974dodgecharger

are these better than the silver looking ones?  I bought a silver one, one day at autzone because I needed it badly cause was not charging that day and it freakin cost me 50 bucks it was a flat silver type one looked at rockauto and they only run 20 odd dollars.

Ghoste

Same thing, basically these are a stock looking and fitting replacement for the old mechanical type.  If your car is wired for the flat type and its connector then thats what you need.

1974dodgecharger

thx ghoste.....I bought spares at rockauto just in case now....same with ECU.

Ghoste

Good call on the ecu especially. (they used to be rock solid reliable)

A383Wing

Put a fuse in-line with the ignition wire and terminal on the electronic one....mine shorted out and melted the wire from ignition switch to the regulator

ODZKing

Very good choice John. Even with points the electronic is more dependable.
May i ask where you ordered ... where the pictures are from?   :popcrn:

john108

ODZKing:  The pictures are from Yearone.  They had a 30% off code and the $40 electronic unit was $28.
They have those sales often.  They just kill you on shipping and handling!

A383Wing

you could go to your local auto part store and get the same thing without the pricey shipping

john108

:brickwall:  Didn't think of that.  I only got it because I also got something else that they didn't have at the local stores!