News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is the wing car movie still a go?

Started by Ghoste, July 05, 2014, 08:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Or has that project died?  I'm not in a position to donate money myself but I'd still like to see the movie go through.

hemi68charger

This is what I got:

THE END OF OUR KICKSTARTER JOURNEY.

Hello,

It seems that we have finally reached the end of our Kickstarter journey. It has been a hard fought campaign but, it seems that we will not be meeting our Kickstarter goal.

Firstly, on behalf of the whole team, we would like to thank all of you for your support. Those of you who have been sharing our campaign, donating to our campaign, and just being all around supportive... we are incredibly thankful! It's not easy to put yourself out there. But, we did it, and we were helped by so many talented people helping spread the word about 'Winged Warriors'.

Secondly, even though we did not meet our Kickstarter goal we still reached other critical goals. We've been featured on over a dozen sites, connected with literally thousands of people on the internet, thus gaining an audience for our film. We also discovered what our audience really liked about our film's core message. In the end, crowd-funding simply ain't for us. Our film will be created in the more conventional way, through private financiers, who will all get a piece of the pie!

So, ladies and gents, we're still roaring towards you in one way or another.

So, again...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

Have a great day!

Marc
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

That's good, fictional drama or not I'd much rather see a "based on a true story" movie about wing cars then another F&F fantasy.

Mike DC

Either way I don't think the project was ever a realistic idea.  

Too expensive to shoot.  The price of building several wing cars would have only been the beginning.  Even major studios think hard before doing pro racing movies because of the production costs.  

If they have something decent then they could be shopping it around with just a script.  If they don't have a decent movie without the car footage then they don't have anything profitable.  Nothing will succeed on car/action footage alone.  Not in the post-Youtube era.

Ghoste

The guy doing it though is no neophyte to the film industry, he isn't naive or unconnected about any of this.  I think the project is realistic, I don't think anyone expects a blockbuster and it isn't budgeted accordingly.  Just a cool niche market film. :Twocents:

Mike DC

Experienced & connected people or not I still don't think its realistic.  It could take millions of dollars if you started doing much of any racing footage.  

A few cars don't cost much, at least not if they are prop-car quality.  But you would need more than a few.  And any track that's big enough to even resemble one of the monster NASCAR ovals, even in smaller shots, would cost a lot too.   And that's still without any people in the stands yet.

CGI can fake some of this stuff.  But that won't be cheap anymore either when you need to add/create so much.  Also, an audience of gearheads & NASCAR fans is going to be particularly put off by unconvincing shots in all these areas.  They know what the specific tracks look like.  They know what moving & wrecking stock cars look like. 

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 06, 2014, 06:02:21 PM

Experienced & connected people or not I still don't think its realistic.  It could take millions of dollars if you started doing much of any racing footage. 

A few cars don't cost much, at least not if they are prop-car quality.  But you would need more than a few.  And any track that's big enough to even resemble one of the monster NASCAR ovals, even in smaller shots, would cost a lot too.   And that's still without any people in the stands yet.

CGI can fake some of this stuff.  But that won't be cheap anymore either when you need to add/create so much.  Also, an audience of gearheads & NASCAR fans is going to be particularly put off by unconvincing shots in all these areas.  They know what the specific tracks look like.  They know what moving & wrecking stock cars look like. 

:iagree:

Ghoste

Well I still hope they can pull it off.

Mike DC

This might sound crazy.  But I would seriously consider just doing the racing footage with glorified CGI animatics. 

Do something decent-video-game quality that looks about 85% real and don't dump the huge effort into chasing that last 15% of the realism.  Start the movie with a racing scene to get the audience "over it" right away.  Run a few sentences of explanation before the show.   Explain that the fake footage was totally the difference between the movie getting made or not.  That, and trying to avoid tearing up lots of real muscle cars. 

I think the audience might be forgiving about it if they understood the reasons and didn't feel misled by the movie's advertising.  I could imagine actually getting the movie shot this way.  I can't imagine it getting made with full-blown Grand National era track scenes.   The CGI would also free-up the project to show anything that they wanted.  Different tracks, crashes, etc.  If they were doing it live then they would be working under a lot of restrictions and trying to fake a lot of stuff even if they had decent money.