News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Moly Paste?

Started by b5blue, July 06, 2014, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I'm gonna be installing new Johnson lifters in my 440 soon. The MP lifters have had some cold clopping since new that I'm hoping the Johnson's won't have. I've got a set of Smith Bros. adjustable push rods going in also. The engine is well broken in so I'm thinking what brand Moly paste is considered best for coating the cam lobes and lifter bottoms on my MP Hydr. Resto Cam?  :shruggy: 
  Think I should coat the sides of the lifters and push rod ends with assembly lube? (This will be my first time changing just lifters in a engine.)

firefighter3931

Neal,

I like the Comp Cams moly paste. Use it on the lifter face only....none on the sides as this will inhibit lifter rotation. I little dab on both ends of the pushrod won't hurt either.

Once you get it all assembled....just dump some oil on top of the lifter cups and rocker arms. Prime the engine ahead of time using a drill and priming rod in the oilpump.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Thanks Ron! Comp it is then. As this is a lifter swap on a running, "broke in" engine I had not planned on a prime for the oil as by the time I prime and reinstall the dizzy I'd loose the same prime as if just running it prior to the swap out. (?) I'm wanting to leave the intake on and just get in and out quickly, I'll adjust the push rods after break in.

firefighter3931

Quote from: b5blue on July 08, 2014, 05:16:56 PM
Is this it? http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/153/10002/-1?parentProductId=753157#moreDetails

Yep, that should work fine  :2thumbs:

The "paste" comes in a small squeeze tube....kinda like a catchup tube from a fast food joint. The breakin lube you showed from Jegs is more liquid which is fine if you're going to break-in the lifters in the next day or so. The paste stuff stays on longer for engines that will be sitting for several days after assembly....before being broken in.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Thanks Ron! Yea I'll be doing it all in one day.  :2thumbs: