News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage limiter problem?

Started by Manfred318, November 03, 2006, 12:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred318

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 03, 2007, 05:55:01 AM
Quote from: Manfred318 on October 02, 2007, 09:04:35 PM
Everything seems to check out fine. I have cleaned all of the ground locations and tightened them down, but still I have the same problem. :brickwall: Ive checked and rechecked the regulator and it looks right according to the picture. Could I have possibly used a wrong limiter or capacitor? I bought a 7805 5VDC regulator rated at 1 amp and a 46uF 35w capacitor. Any ideas? :shruggy:
Unfortunately my guess is that the previous regulators damaged your gauges.
Probably so thats usualy how my luck goes. I wil check the voltage on the regulator this afternoon when I get up. Any way to fix the gauges or am I just SOL?

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Plumcrazy

Since your's are still working somewhat then the heating element is still good.  There are some real small holes in the back of them for calibration purposes.  They may be salvageable.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Manfred318

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 03, 2007, 07:40:39 AM
Since your's are still working somewhat then the heating element is still good. There are some real small holes in the back of them for calibration purposes. They may be salvageable.
What would be the easiest way to calibrate the guages? I wasnt aware you could actually do that. THat could have been my problem all along :slap:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Manfred318 on October 03, 2007, 01:40:34 PM
Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 03, 2007, 07:40:39 AM
Since your's are still working somewhat then the heating element is still good. There are some real small holes in the back of them for calibration purposes. They may be salvageable.
What would be the easiest way to calibrate the guages? I wasnt aware you could actually do that. THat could have been my problem all along :slap:

I've never done it but I'm pretty sure I saw it talked about in a thread here at one time

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

dkn1997

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19473.0.html

tons of info on how to calibrate your own gauges.  I did a few sets and it's real easy.  spend about 5 bucks on radioshack resistors and jumpers and go to town!!

p.s., I am using a stock unknown origin/age gauge cluster volt limiter and my gauges work perfectly.  I think a good cleaning of all contacts and a nice calibration get them working just fine.
RECHRGED

jess2968

did you issue get fixed? mine are doing the same thing, when i tighten the screws on my guage cluster they all peg out.
Thanks

Pete in NH

Hi,

You might have a bad instrument voltage regulator or something is causing a short circuit when you tighten those screws. Pull the wire off your temperature gauge sensor at the engine and put a voltmeter or test light from the wire to ground . You should see your meter or light pulsing on and off. If you get a steady 12 volts the regulator points are likely welded closed. This is how these regulators fail very often and fry your gauges. Don't let your gauges peg out long or you will burn then out.

jess2968

i get a steady 5.4 volts as i have made one from posts i found on here. its weired that it only happens when i tighten the screws down.
Thanks

Ghoste

Is the cluster properly grounded before you tighten the screws?

jess2968

i have all the pugs and lights in if thats what you mean, i do not see a ground strap for the cluster if there is supose to be one.
Thanks