News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found the weak link

Started by 74Rallye, July 04, 2014, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74Rallye

I finally got to drive my Charger after rebuilding the engine and swapping in a 4sp. My Edelbrock 800 carb was giving me problems with it's bottom end dead spot/bog. I had to get the rpm above the dead spot before engaging the clutch or it would cut off. Broke a U-joint and pinion yoke. On the plus side, the clutch and trans worked great.

Ghoste

Rolling_Thunder

Been there....   with a customer's car once.  1968 GTX convertible....    swapped a built Hemi in place of the 440 and then decided to see some 0-60 times...     :lol:

It is an easy fix - glad it wasnt anything major
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

74Rallye

I'm going to swap out the pumpkin and carb tomorrow. Then I can get back to wrapping up the details on the 4sp swap.

Charger-Bodie

Yoke looks like it was barely hanging on.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

74Rallye

The yoke ear rusted after spending a day and a half in the street through 2 thunder storms. the piece on the pinion is still shiny.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mytur Binsdirti

What kind of other damage did the flailing driveshaft cause?

Wicked72

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 04, 2014, 01:55:24 PM

Was it like a drunk monkey fist?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Wicked72 on July 04, 2014, 02:41:21 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 04, 2014, 01:55:24 PM

Was it like a drunk monkey fist?

My guess is that it was more like this.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54SvkgQ04A

74Rallye

It was a relatively smooth separation.  I was in a cross over so there was no speed involved.
The other time this car tossed a U-joint was shifting from 2nd to 3rd with the automatic at about 90mph. That one turned the car sideways and wasted the drive shaft. That was a pucker-factor 10 ride.

74Rallye

It's back on the road with better gears for a manual trans. Most excellent weather for working on a car too.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 74Rallye on July 05, 2014, 08:14:52 PM
It's back on the road with better gears for a manual trans. Most excellent weather for working on a car too.
Good to hear.   :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."