News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird headlight vacuum lines question

Started by FJ5WING, July 03, 2014, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Is anyone able to tell me what the correct orientation for the colored vacuum lines for the headlights is?(yellow stripe connects to ? green stripe to?)

Also wondering if the connectors at the rad support should be white of black?

thanks in advance!
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: FJ5WING on July 03, 2014, 07:39:02 AM
Is anyone able to tell me what the correct orientation for the colored vacuum lines for the headlights is?(yellow stripe connects to ? green stripe to?)

thanks in advance!
FJ5,
I can't tell you about the orientation of the colors and hoses.
But I can tell you all the original vacuum hose fittings were white.
They are very hard to find now days!
I will check and see if I have any extras?
Are your "T" fittings neat the actuators white?
MJ

nascarxx29

Where the hoses joined there was a circular white molded circle part of the fitting

DAY CLONA

thanks in advance!

YELLOW striped hoses in the nosecone BOTH connect to to back ports of the vacuum canisters, the port that you can access thru the fender/latch tray area, both GREEN striped hoses connect to the front port of BOTH canisters, the port located inside the head-lite bucket

The T connectors are always white from what I've seen over the years on original cars, as well as the "emergency" splice connectors that join the main vacuum harness to the nosecone vacuum harness

If your looking for a supplier of white vacuum T's and in-line splices I use either VACU-TITE or McMaster Carr for suppliers

McMaster Carr PN# 53055K114 is a good candidate for the in-line slicer 5/32" hose connector
Vacuum Tite has the white T's Vacu-tite/Dorman PN 47333 that are a good match for the originals

Mike  

Below are pics of the original components

FJ5WING

Hey Mike,
Thats freaking awesome! I kinda remembered
the inline connectors from Daves description but seeing
it is perfect. Sadly I believe I discarded my originals when
I was hunting a vacuum leak many years ago.
Thanks for the tip on replacements!!!

You Da Man!

nascarxx29

Ive seen those connectors used in the AC cars

Mopar John

Mike,
Great info and picture on the vacuum hose components!
In your picture is the grommet used where the harness enters the headlight bucket.
Do you have a close replacement for those?
Thanks! MJ

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mopar John on July 05, 2014, 09:32:35 AM
Mike,
Great info and picture on the vacuum hose components!
In your picture is the grommet used where the harness enters the headlight bucket.
Do you have a close replacement for those?
Thanks! MJ

John, McMaster Carr offers up a lot of things, the website is general, the catalogs are stocked with a lot more items, I generally use McMaster for all those hard to find dodads, The large grommets with the "square" edges (style2) WERE available from McMaster Carr, I see they have now limited the number of sizes available, I had some in the past, seems like your stuck ordering STYLE 1 as a replacement...the list in posted, IIRC the metal U shaped opening in the bucket is approx 1"+, so order according to what you need

Mike

62 Max

And if , McMaster Carr doesn't have it these people probably do.

Mopar John

Mike and others, has anyone bought a large quantity of the grommets and have a few extras to sell?
Thanks! MJ

hemigeno

I didn't realize the vacuum connectors could still be found in white.  Back when I was digging for such, all I could find new were black ones.  Thankfully, Ken/HemiTyme bailed me out with a couple of original connectors & grommets he had lying around in his toolbox yet (thanks again, Ken!!).

If anyone cares to do some more digging to find a close(r) replacement for original headlamp bucket wiring grommets, here's a thread link where I have some good photos and dimensions from an original Daytona grommet, and some other sources besides the ones already listed by Dayclona and 62Max:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70409.0.html

(copied from that thread)...
For the record, the dimensions these had are:

(A) ID of hole --  21/32", maybe 11/16"
(B) OD of grommet --  1-5/32"
(C) Overall thickness --  3/4"
(D) Panel thickness --  1/16"
(E) Panel hole --  not 100% sure, but estimate it to be between 13/16" and 7/8"

FJ5WING

*YAHTZEE*

I dug up my original pieces from a box of junk at my parents house(The same place I found my original 6pac idle solenoid!)  :2thumbs:

hemigeno

FJ5WING

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 03, 2014, 08:19:47 PM

thanks in advance!

YELLOW striped hoses in the nosecone BOTH connect to to back ports of the vacuum canisters, the port that you can access thru the fender/latch tray area, both GREEN striped hoses connect to the front port of BOTH canisters, the port located inside the head-lite bucket

The T connectors are always white from what I've seen over the years on original cars, as well as the "emergency" splice connectors that join the main vacuum harness to the nosecone vacuum harness

If your looking for a supplier of white vacuum T's and in-line splices I use either VACU-TITE or McMaster Carr for suppliers

McMaster Carr PN# 53055K114 is a good candidate for the in-line slicer 5/32" hose connector
Vacuum Tite has the white T's Vacu-tite/Dorman PN 47333 that are a good match for the originals

Mike  

Below are pics of the original components

Hey Mike .......OR..........anyone

What the heck do I do with that Tee connector?

62 Max

Dave,the connectors go behind the driver side headlight bucket,then to the passenger side hose's.And for what it's worth,the T is the same one used for the 6pk vacuum lines for the secondary diaphragms.

FJ5WING

Thanks Bill,

I have it covered then...for some reason I thought I needed an additional Tee further up closer to the rad support and the vacuum can.

just a little unnecessary panic. I just haven't done enough of these to remember how to put it together.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

FJ5WING