News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger No Run issue

Started by MrSnicks, July 13, 2014, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSnicks

1971 Dodge Charger 318 auto. Rebuilt engine, rebuilt carb, rebuilt transmission. A week ago after alignment and on it's maiden voyage it was running fine, drove it for 2 days without trouble.

Day 3 went to take it on an hour drive to work, about 3 mins into the drive a backfire and started running rough, and then died. Got it pulled over to the side of the road and it would crank, run rough, die. Crank run rough die. Crank run good, give gas, die. Crank run good, give gas, stayed running drove the hour to work no problems. On the way home running @70 on the highway had some hesitation, stumbling for about 30 seconds but went away.

Day 4 cranked it up got a half mile down the road, ran rough died. Took it back home to sit.

Day 5 cranks up, runs rough dies.

Day 6 - present will not run.

So basically a sporadic random problem has progressed into a total failure of something. I know it's getting fuel, I also tried putting my wife's carb on there and no change. I have replaced the ballast resistor and the coil. It has a new distributor, new cap, new rotor, new points set correctly, new wires and new spark plugs. I have spark from the coil during crank. I used a test light on the coil and both sides of the ballast resistor with the key in the run position and have juice. I have a multi-meter but don't really know how to use it.

I'm leaning towards ignition system issues. Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch? I've been using a hand/remote starter. Any ideas would be appreciated.

b5blue

Check for intermittent vacuum leak from cracked hoses or whatever. Check dizzy mech. and vacuum advance are working and move freely, did you put some oil on the wick under the rotor? You can bypass the column switch by just buying a new one and plugging it in under the dash without installing for testing. Check and clean all grounds and unplug the bulkhead connectors, inspect clean/repair and protect.

MrSnicks

........ and the winner is ........................     Ignition Condenser.!

myk

How'd you come to that conclusion?  Great job on getting it running again...

MrSnicks

I put on a new condenser and it ran like a champ.