News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my luck with ethanol blended fuels

Started by c00nhunterjoe, July 01, 2014, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

I hear and see the pictures from other peoples horror stories after the ethanol swap started a few years ago. Hard starts, clogged carbs. Sediment lroblems....you name it, ive read it on this site.
   Well to cut to the chase, i had a little down time today so i swapped power valves (6.5 to 4.5) because my current setup was too close to my vaccum output and i wanted to continue my tuning (yeah it never ends). My carb has not been apart in almost 5 years now so i was dreading what the bowls would look like and what i may be getting into. The fuel in my area is e10 and i never run additives. To date i have had 0 issues with starting after sitting a week or all winter. Here are the pics of inside.

deepockets

Wow! that's that's the cleanest I've seen so far.

c00nhunterjoe

Again, no additives used. I get gas at whatever station i am passing when i need it... could be anything from wawa to sunnoco. 93 pump gas. Nothing special. I cringe at the thought of how many gallons go through it per summer.... its alot. The car gets run all season long. Parked at the first sign of salt on the roads then sits dormant until spring. I run a run-of-the-mill glass replacable fuel filter and a mechanical pump through origonal fuel lines out of a 16 gallon cell.
   Not that im complaining, but what am i doing differently then alot of other people? Ive seen the pictures of crusted and corroded metering plates. i put gas in the tank, drive it, and park it.  :shruggy:

66FBCharger

Maybe because you are using the car and it is not sitting around with the same gas in the tank for a long period of time? Just a thought.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

firefighter3931

That does look amazingly clean for E-10 fuel !  :2thumbs:

I'd be happy seeing that  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 66FBCharger on July 02, 2014, 07:19:49 AM
Maybe because you are using the car and it is not sitting around with the same gas in the tank for a long period of time? Just a thought.

If i recall, most people only let theirs sit during the week and drive all weekend. For the most part, thats what i do too. And mine sits from roughly november through marchish untouched with fuel in it.
   The only thing i can think of is i have a fuel cell vs others running a 45 y/o gas tank. Perhaps the new fuel is breaking up deposits and clogging things up??? But then i would think your fuel filter should catch anything so i dont know...

Cooter

Alotta times I've seen tarded crap run through Holleys and get blamed on Ethanol fuel so as not to look stupid. Of course, once you smell it and suspect otherwise, then I usually get the full story of how they let someone else 'work' on it and now it's screwed.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

toocheaptosmoke

Most of my DD's are carbed, and they all get regular fuel.  Just took my jeep's carb apart and it was clean inside, but the gaskets had deteriorated after a few years.  Like said, running on a regular basis keeps the gas from getting "stale."  The alchohol absorbs moisture, so the longer it sits in a vented tank the worse it can get.  I'd bet that having a fuel cell sure isn't hurting.  Another thing could be that the actual percentage of ethanol in the gas may not be a constant.  The pumps state 10%, but it used to be that was just the max allowed and it could sometimes be less.  Stations like shell still list there plus grades as 5% and premium as 0% ethanol.  So, there's a chance you might not actually have the full 10% in your 93 octane. :shruggy:  I just bought a little vile tester to find the actual ethanol content in a sample of gas, been meaning to try it at the local stations.  You can get them on ebay for like 10 bucks. :cheers:

GPULLER

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 01, 2014, 09:25:29 PM
I hear and see the pictures from other peoples horror stories after the ethanol swap started a few years ago. Hard starts, clogged carbs. Sediment lroblems....you name it, ive read it on this site.
   Well to cut to the chase, i had a little down time today so i swapped power valves (6.5 to 4.5) because my current setup was too close to my vaccum output and i wanted to continue my tuning (yeah it never ends). My carb has not been apart in almost 5 years now so i was dreading what the bowls would look like and what i may be getting into. The fuel in my area is e10 and i never run additives. To date i have had 0 issues with starting after sitting a week or all winter. Here are the pics of inside.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! The best post of the year!
I've been running E10 in everything I own and have never had any problems related to blended fuels.  Like you I never use any additive and my most of my equipment sits unused from November to May.  It always fires right up.