News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing quetion

Started by fireguyfire, July 01, 2014, 04:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

I have a fully rebuilt 383 that I put a mild comp cam and a Edelbrock performer 4 bbl carb. I am getting a low vacuum problem (at best 15) and the needle on the gauge jumps a lot at that measurement. The engine is running like a top, and right now I have timed it to 10 BTDC ( I live at altitude so I was told to go earlier than the 7.5 degrees recommended by the shop manual).
At idle with this engine, and the vacuum advance disconnected, what do you guys recommend I set the timing to to get great performance, and good vacuum?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

Cooter

Gotta vacuum guage?
How 'mild' is cam? What's the duration at .050??
All this will be needed before hand.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fireguyfire

I do have a vacuum gauge, that's how I know my current manifold vacuum at idle. I will have to look up the cam number for you, but it is a very mild cam for the 383 from comp.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

firefighter3931

If it's making 15in of vacuum at idle that is pretty good. I'd be happy with that  :2thumbs:

How does the timing mark look at idle with the light on it ? How does the timing mark look at a steady 2000-2500 rpm ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fireguyfire

Cooter; the duration at .050 is intake 224, exhaust 230. Does this help?
Firefighter, I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how the timing mark looks; it is strong and easy to read when setting and right now is dead on 10 degrees BTDC at idle. I dont often have an "assistant" so I dont know what it is reading at 2000 to 2500 RPM. Would this be important to know?
I am also a bit freaked out by the rapidly bouncing needle, but in previous threads I see you can fix this by adjusting the timing also. My engine has no miles on it after a pro rebuild, and I have just done the break in on it.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

firefighter3931

Fireguy,

The cam you have in there is the Comp XE268H which is a nice street cam. The 15in vacuum at idle is about right.  :2thumbs:

It sounds like your timing is steady at idle based on your response. I like to check them at several different rpm's to see what the timing mark looks like. This requires a helper to hold the throttle steady while you aim the timing light.  :yesnod:

A vacuum leak or sticky valves can cause erratic vacuum readings so check your vacuum lines and carb base gasket.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Quote from: fireguyfire on July 02, 2014, 10:10:50 AM
Cooter; the duration at .050 is intake 224, exhaust 230. Does this help?
Firefighter, I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how the timing mark looks; it is strong and easy to read when setting and right now is dead on 10 degrees BTDC at idle. I dont often have an "assistant" so I dont know what it is reading at 2000 to 2500 RPM. Would this be important to know?
I am also a bit freaked out by the rapidly bouncing needle, but in previous threads I see you can fix this by adjusting the timing also. My engine has no miles on it after a pro rebuild, and I have just done the break in on it.

15" vacuum is about all your gonna see with that cam. Might squeeze a couple more, but wouldn't count on it. A fresh engine will still need about 500-1000 miles for everything to seat properly so that will effect vacuum readings as well. Yes, total timing is needed. Many mild builds like between 34-36* total.
this means initial at crank, mechanical weights.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

fireguyfire

Thanks fellas; looks like I have a vacuum leak to track down. Not surprised as the lines are very tires; I had to cut back an inch or so off several ends that had split in the headlight hose system.
How can I test if I have a leak around the base of the carb?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

firefighter3931

Quote from: fireguyfire on July 02, 2014, 12:51:17 PM
How can I test if I have a leak around the base of the carb?

Spray a mist of carb cleaner around the base of the carb with the engine running. If the idle speed changes....you have a vacuum leak  :yesnod:

Ron