News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unbolting engine mounts?

Started by Crazy440, June 26, 2014, 06:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Pulling the 440 out of my 73.  What's the best way to unbolt the engine mounts?  From above or below?  What bolts need to be removed? 
Thanks
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

NHCharger

Do you have stock exhaust manifolds or headers? I found there is no easy way with a big block. It will probably be a combination from above, below and through the access holes on the inner fenders.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Crazy440

Quote from: NHCharger on June 26, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
Do you have stock exhaust manifolds or headers? I found there is no easy way with a big block. It will probably be a combination from above, below and through the access holes on the inner fenders.

Headers.  But, I've already removed  them

justcruisin

Just pull the single through bolt between the k-member and the mount, leave the mount on the engine. With no exhaust you will be able to get them from the top or below.

Crazy440

Ran into a problem. SURPRISE, SURPRISE!  Loosened and removed the nut, from the through bolt, in the spool mount, on paassanger side.  Can only get the drivers side bolt to turn, but it turns the nut also.  Can't, for the life of me, figure a way to get a wrench onto the nut. Am I going to have to remove the oil pump, to get at it?  Also, I don't have to remove the bolts, just have them loose so the mount lifts out of the cradles.   MAN! So close an yet...
Thanks

JB400

Is the power steering pump removed? :popcrn:  That should allow you to get to it from above.

Crazy440

Yes, the pump is removed.  I still can't get a wrench on the nut from above or below.

Crazy440

This is the space I have to work with.

don duick

Quote from: Crazy440 on June 26, 2014, 09:46:35 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on June 26, 2014, 07:13:43 PM

Headers.  But, I've already removed  them
how the F%%% did you remove the headers on the drivers side?

Crazy440

I removed the header, on the driverside with a sawsall, then unbolted the flange.  Was a paine.
I'm going the hook the hoist, to the engine, take the tension off and then remove the bolts from the block.  Am tired of messing with that one bolt.  My neighbor suggested a distributor wrench.  Only problem is they do not make a 3/4".  Largerst one, I could find was a 9/16".

XH29N0G

I was confused by this thread, had thought that is because the access on a 383 (my engine) or 70 is much better.  

Now, I have a different impression.  I think you are working on the wrong bolt.  

The bolt I remove the long bolt to the K-frame (the top picture below is of the bolt by the place where the oil tube goes in). Mine is a little strange because I have a solid mount with a bolt and a nut - I think the bolt is going in the opposite direction as a standard mount would go, but is in the same place.  Meaning, you may find the tail end of the bolt at the same spot as in the picture.

I think the nut I think you are working on may be one of the two in the lower picture.

If you remove the bolt I remove (It is several inches long and runs all the way across), the mount will lift off the K-frame when you raise the engine.

Look at this other thread for other pics  (you can see the bolt (it is silver) on the middle of the picture).

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,13216.msg958021.html#msg958021
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

john108

The previous explanations are excellent but I thought another picture may help.

Crazy440

As I mentioned, I have spool mounts.  The spool bolts rest in perches.  That through bolt is what I'm having problems with.  See below.

XH29N0G

Ah Ha.  I didn't catch that. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Crazy440

Well, I got smart and pulled the oil pump.  That let me access the nut, on the spool mount.  1/2 hour later and the engine was out.  Thanks, everyone for your help.