News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 383 4 speed charger

Started by Looking4My68charger, March 16, 2006, 09:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking4My68charger

What is a 383 4 speed charger actually worth?If its matching numbers?needing resto?Thanks jim

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

If it has a solid body and is complete I would say closer to $10,000.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

RT DAVE

I agree.  10K.  I tried buying one out of the local paper two years ago for $7500 but when I finally get hold of the owner he said I could duke it on ebay because he had more than 100 people in his VM asking about the car.  It sold for 10 or 11K and needed alot of metal work.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Looking4My68charger

Well right now it is going for 15k if it is 1 out of 254 or whatever its not worth more then 10 or 11k? ???

hemi68charger

Quote from: Looking4a68charger on March 16, 2006, 11:31:38 AM
Well right now it is going for 15k if it is 1 out of 254 or whatever its not worth more then 10 or 11k? ???

Not much more than that if it needs resto... But then again, resto. is a pretty wide term.........  Cosemtic?, framerails?, engine?... you get what I'm talking about...........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

jmanscharger

There is one near me now needing restoration that was for sale for 12900 last year, (he paid 9 for it I think), it is the one on ebay now for $15,100, still time to go. Prices are scary for a car that is original and a driver but needs TOTAL restoration to be a show car. It makes a non numbers fully restored 68 look like a bargain for $25000.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

694spdRT

I looked at the car in the ebay auction. From the pictures it is what I consider a "driver" as is. When you said needs restoration I envisioned a car needing complete interior, drivetain, and body restoration. If you plan on doing that to the car it will cost you another 15-20K to do it. Two years ago the car you are asking about would have been worth 10K tops. I remember a red 68' 383 4 speed on Ebay in better shape that sold in the 15-16K range a couple years back in Iowa.

Prices are high now and you are going to pay a premium for "original" big block 4 speed cars. I would guess that one is getting close to the top...maybe 17-18K when it is done....especially if you bid it up some more.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

six-tee-nine

I'm specially interested in chargers with three pedals but they don't come around that often so most guys selling one know know what the price is....

My guess is if you don't want a #'s matching car for daily use (means you want to restore one for fun and meeting use) buy a cheaper 318 in better condition for less big bucks and do the swap to 440 and 4-speed yourself.

Only the consoles are a problem to find, but there are already threads about converting an auto console to a 4-speed one.

Normally all the other stuf is not that hard to find cuz lots of stuff is still available at Keisler or Mopar Performance.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

Three years ago I paid $5,500 for my 1 of 74 383/2bbl/4spd in the condition pictured below. As far as replacement metal it needed lower quarters, an outer wheelhouse, rear valance, rear valance corners, a dutchman panel, a package tray, frame rack work and there's pinholes in the trunk and a silver-dollar sized hole in one floor pan. And that's all before the filler goes on. I don't know what condition the one you're looking at is in but mine would have been considered mediocre driver condition so I wouldn't be surprised if my same car would fetch at least $8k in the same condition today.

six-tee-nine

I would dare to buy a car like your's for 8 K directly....

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

69charger2002

yeah i was about to say i think 8k would be a steal for that car needing that work.. being what it is. i just got 1 of the 259 383 4 speed 4 barrel 68's.. and i STOLE it in my opinion. very good buddy. he gave me a deal. $5500 and it's numbers matching and will fire up. needs resto but frame is perfect. i wouldn't sell it for $10k if someone walked up with it. it's one of the few "rare" cars i've gotten a hold of.. i will sell off 318 and 383 auto cars if i have to, but i'm keeping this one
here is a pic since a post is worthless without one.  :) 
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

h76

Look at how many automatics that are for sale out there. You can't find many big-block 4-speed(original) out there.Supply and availability drives the price.
It's worth different $ to different people. We all don't like the same things and would not pay the same $ for stuff that others would pay.

sharpspike

lets do a little math guessing. 259, lets say 60% have survived the crusher over the years = 155.

of those lets say 60% haven't rusted to dust sitting in a barn or field or at the bottom of a pile of cars in a junk yard = 93

of these how many have all parts and are numbers matching ?? shall we try 60% again = 55 +/-.

how may auto's 440's R/T's 383'3 and even 318's are still numbers matching or even come with a motor and trans.

so a # matching 383 4 barrel 4 speed, 1 of ??  i think would be a good investment and would only grow in value.

of course thats just my opinion, ( and i own one ) :drive:

69charger2002

well i've owned 2. the one i have now.. and the future dc.com car.. it had no motor tranny, but is (barely) at this point still in existence.. i wish we had a real count of how many are surviving. seems there are quite a few members here with one of the 259
trav

tipopiola

I've got one in the garage.  Its a GG1 non vinyl top car.  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: wantacharger on March 16, 2006, 01:59:52 PM
Only the consoles are a problem to find, but there are already threads about converting an auto console to a 4-speed one.

I just have to point out here that the conversions you see on those console tops really only works on 69-70. The design is different than 68 and the woodgrain covers part of the modifications. Of course, I just don't use a console... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Troy on March 18, 2006, 10:53:06 AM
Quote from: wantacharger on March 16, 2006, 01:59:52 PM

I just have to point out here that the conversions you see on those console tops really only works on 69-70. The design is different than 68 and the woodgrain covers part of the modifications. Of course, I just don't use a console... :D

Troy

I'd be happy if mine didn't have one. One less major, costly thing to worry about IMO.

69charger2002

ok so seriously. can we try and get a list.??
i have had 2.. shelley and jonathan now have the one so let's do this..
1 69charger2002- red/black top/red int
2. yellowcuda- red/black int
3. bull-
4. tipopiola
5. sharpspike says he has one
6. kikgas just bought one
that's 6. anyone else who owns one please list

Troy

I know where a mostly dead one is. I'll try to run by there this weekend. I know it was blue on the outside but everything else has rusted away or been eaten.

Troy

bull

Member Chad L. Magee has one of the 2bbl '68s like mine. Also, oddly enough, there was another 383/2bbl/4spd '68s for sale in the Seattle area with no engine, trans or fender tag that I found back when I was looking for one. I've always thought it was weird that after looking for nearly two years for a '68 Charger in my area I found 2 of the 74 in the same day.

h76

Hey did anybody see the yellow 68 R/T 4 speed  hlpag has for sale(hold) right now on their site? Thought that $17999 is cheap for a 4 speed R/T-what do you guys think?

Troy

Quote from: h76 on March 18, 2006, 05:02:39 PM
Hey did anybody see the yellow 68 R/T 4 speed hlpag has for sale(hold) right now on their site? Thought that $17999 is cheap for a 4 speed R/T-you do you guys think?
I can guarantee that if they're selling it for $17,999 it's probably not worth half that amount. Of course, that conversation will blow this one completely off topic.

Troy

h76

What do you think the deal is then? Looks pretty good on their site,just wondering your guys opinion?

Troy

h76

bull

Quote from: h76 on March 18, 2006, 05:02:39 PM
Hey did anybody see the yellow 68 R/T 4 speed  hlpag has for sale(hold) right now on their site? Thought that $17999 is cheap for a 4 speed R/T-what do you guys think?

That would be cheap from anyone other than hlpag.com. Just the fact that it's a "nice" R/T listed at that price should raise a red flag for those who know what these cars are selling for.

I looked at the pictures of that yellow R/T on the hlpag site. Did you see the Flowmaster picture? Looks like it's covered with undercoating. RED FLAG!! http://hlpag.com/68rtcgr4spd.htm "THE UNDERCARRIAGE AND TRUNK PAN HAVE ALL BEEN DETAILED AND LOOK AWESOME!" Detailed=undercoating on everything.

h76

Back to the 383 4 speed topic-How many of the 383 4 speeds have you guys seen for sale in the last year?

OldGuy

69charger2002

#7 - Currently in primer.  My son and I are in the process of restoring it back to original.  SS1 yellow, black vinyl top, black interior
VIN#: XP29H8B300748
Fender tag decoded by Galen V. Govier
Bought it in 1999 for $4,000

#8 -  "Bevs 68" has one.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

694spdRT

Here are a few 383-4 speeds I remember for sale.

There was a real rough one for sale on Ebay last fall in Michigan that was originally red. There was another one on Ebay a couple years ago in Iowa. It was red with a black top.

Maybe a member bought his one...I remember one that was pulled out of the junkyard down in Georgia or the Carolinas and posted for sale on the old site. It was red with no vinyl top and I think the guy bought it for $2,500 out of the yard and was reselling it. It ended up on Ebay too.

I saw another red one just north of me that was in bad shape about 15 years ago. I don't know what happened to it and, guess what, it was red with a black top. At the time all I really wanted was the woodgrain wheel for my '68 because I didn't know how rare they were.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

six-tee-nine

I saw a red one a '69  here on the board a while ago...

I guess if you really want one you have to be a bit lucky or on the otherhand be very patient.

If you really only are interested in a 4-speed car, then you could widen your options by also looking for roadrunners or superbee's.

i have tought about that myself a while ago but i rather drive an automatic Charger than a 4-speed Roadrunner or superbee, not that I don't like the cars but of course I just like the Charger more....

694spdRT

Although the '69 383 4 speed cars are rare they still made 3,579 of them. For whatever reason not many '68's were built with a 4 speed.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

tipopiola

Got mine out of Missoula Montana about 2 years ago.  There was a guy advertising some other cars on the old site and the 68' 383 4-speed was just barely poking into one of the pictures.  Basically a rust free western car that I picked up for the price of a trailer rental and gas from Minneapolis MN to Missoula and back.  Tipopiola :icon_smile_big:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 18, 2006, 12:14:52 PM
ok so seriously. can we try and get a list.??
i have had 2.. shelley and jonathan now have the one so let's do this..
1 69charger2002- red/black top/red int
2. yellowcuda- red/black int
3. bull-
4. tipopiola
5. sharpspike says he has one
6. kikgas just bought one
that's 6. anyone else who owns one please list

I have one of the 2-bbl. versions in Bright Red, White vinyl top, White with Red inserts interior (rare interior combo in 68 to boot).  It was a SD car orginally and was rolled onto it's top by the orginal owner in his front yard back in the early 70s with 30,000 miles on it (it looks worse than it really is).  It was in the process of being parted out when I bought it off of the second owner.  It will be restored eventually......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

inhrmswy

I have one of the 68 383 2bbl 4 speed cars.  the numbers engine is long gone it now has a 440.  bought it just over a year ago from a fella down in sumner Wa.  He had a few other chargers in his yard, a beautiful 69 in light yellow/black top and a crunched 68 rt parts car.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get progress pics up on mine.

69charger2002

ok.. well if it's ok with you guys i may start a mini registry just to help keep up with these cars.. i will keep it separate the 1 of 74 383 2 barrel 4 speed cars. and the 1 of 259 383 4 barrel 4 speed cars. if you guys want. email me with your VIN's and any info and i'll keep a record of it. i'll also try and track down the new orner of the ebay one after it ends tonight.. would be nice to keep track and try and find out how many still exist
let me know if interested
charger69foster@yahoo.com
i can update every once in a while when new cars are added
trav

bull

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 20, 2006, 01:36:13 PM
ok.. well if it's ok with you guys i may start a mini registry just to help keep up with these cars.. i will keep it separate the 1 of 74 383 2 barrel 4 speed cars. and the 1 of 259 383 4 barrel 4 speed cars. if you guys want. email me with your VIN's and any info and i'll keep a record of it. i'll also try and track down the new orner of the ebay one after it ends tonight.. would be nice to keep track and try and find out how many still exist
let me know if interested
charger69foster@yahoo.com
i can update every once in a while when new cars are added
trav

I'm interested. I'll send my info when I get home and I'll try getting the VIN off that 383/2bbl/4spd car up in the Seattle area. I don't know if he'll give it out, or if he even has the car still. I wonder if Wooten would be of any help in this area?

PocketThunder

My Engine builders Dad has one.  Original owner, all original documentation, its green with a black top and white guts.  I'll get some info on it for you guys.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bullitt68dodgecharger

i own one that is/was at kreative customs in london,ky. read other threads

bullitt68dodgecharger

the other thread was titled stolen parts,..........by troy in utah

clanton

Here is mine. Bought it on Ebay 3 years ago @ $30K, and put another $15K into it.  :eek2:
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.