News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My car runs hot

Started by Firetodd, July 03, 2014, 12:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetodd

With summer here and temps in the 90's, my car runs really hot. The temperature Guage climbs quickly. Anyway, I can't drive with the heater on and cruise as it takes away the fun :)

Anyway, I don't know what thermostat is in my mystery machine. I pulled the radiator cap off and started it. Once flow started, I shot a video. Let me know if you think flow is sufficient.

http://youtu.be/um0I6tCequo

firefighter3931

Hey Todd,

I would say that's way off of where it should be. Are you sure the 'stat was fully open ?

At idle the coolant should be briskly circulating and when you throttle up it should look like a river  :yesnod:

Pull the stat and drop it in a pot of boiling water using a meat thermometer and observe how well it opens up and at what temp it opens fully.  :scope:

It might be only partially opening or maybe not at all ? It should have a number stamped on it indicating the temp rating (160/180/195)

I like the Milidon high flow thermostats....that's all i've ran for years  :2thumbs:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Firetodd

Thanks Ron! What temp milodan stat? I'll order one. If I'm pulling the old one I might as well replace it while I'm there.

c00nhunterjoe

Info on the car? How big an engine? What radiator is in it? 22,26"? 2 or 3 row? Lots of questions.

Firetodd

Sorry Joe,
Merely saying "my car" isn't enough of a description? Haha, it is a 67 with a 383 that the previous owner somewhat over-cammed. I bought it last year and have replaced the ignition system, rear end, wheel bearings, u-joints, intake manifold, plugs, wires, brakes, speedo pinion gear, and had the dash guages calibrated/rebuilt. It runs great with misc needs here and there. That being said, I call it my mystery machine, because I don't know whats inside the motor  :shruggy: Ron and all the guys have been a great help in getting her to run the way she does.

It has a stock 26" 2 row radiator.

Thanks,
Todd

HPP

Aftermarket pulley system at all? Do you have any charging or power steering issues?

Does it get hot just idling, driving on the highway, cruising in parade style traffic?

Size and type of fan with blade count, shroud, hose style?

Have you checked temps in various places such as top of radiator, bottom of radiator, intake manifold, heater hoses?

Firetodd

Edit: 22" radiator - Chrysler radiator #38086

ottawamerc

I'm with Ron you should see alot more flow even at idle, test your new thermostat too before you drop it in I have heard of them being no good from the package.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Firetodd

Is it bad that I only have a 22" radiator?

c00nhunterjoe

I had a 26" 2 row behind my 383 and i couldnt keep it cool in the summer...... 3 row took care of it.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Firetodd on July 03, 2014, 12:49:05 PM
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16406

Yep, that should work fine  :2thumbs:

One thing you can try before installing a new stat is to remove it completely and run the engine. This will show us if the waterpump and/or pulley ratio is a problem. Try to isolate the poor circulation issue before throwing lots of $$ at the problem.  :yesnod:

I like to use an infrared heat gun with the laser to shoot temps at different locations. Often the factory guage readings are off. Comparing the top tank of the rad to the bottom will tell you how well the rad is working. You should be seeing a 30* drop between top (inlet) and bottom (outlet) if the rad is working properly. Compare the waterpump housing temp to the guage cluster to verify accuracy as well  ;)

The IR heat guns are a great diagnostic tool  :2thumbs:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465-8905.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs