News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For 69 large, you'd think that this thing should be perfect........

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, June 27, 2014, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

I'd consider the rat's nest wiring more of an issue than the exhaust tip brackets.  You don't need climate controls :rofl:

bill440rt

It's missing the exhaust tip/hanger plates that go back there. Also, those are TTI tailpipes which have that hanger mount arm welded to them if you opt for their tips.

I agree, for an "investment grade" car you should at least be able to turn on the heat.  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

terrible one

Check out the left frame rail near the rear leaf spring hanger, it looks like it has a real long tear/ gash

Mytur Binsdirti

Probably tore when it was on the frame straightener.     :lol:

TUFCAT

Charger script missing from sail panels, originally Y2 w/black stripe, sub-frame connectors, wildwood slotted rotors, horrible looking engine mods with ignition wires going God knows where, 3" exhaust, no heater/ventilation controls, JC Whitney Dana cover, no build-sheet (that's a biggie), etc., etc.,....."investment grade" my ass!  :icon_smile_dissapprove:  It would take lots of work and parts chasing to consider this "investment grade" and still no build-sheet.  Someone will certainly like it for what it is - but no reason to call it something its not.    

Ghoste

hemi-hampton

Some stuf I don't like. :scratchchin:

TUFCAT

Good eye as usual Leon. The whole car looks messed up underneath!!  :icon_smile_angry:

1974dodgecharger

I didn't cut out my holes after i installed my trunk and floor pans either....

myk

Agreed. Why have the drains if you don't want them?  That's not a dealbreaker, neither is the collection of non stock parts.  The problem here is how sloppily everything was put together...

hemi-hampton

Certain things I look for that if not right it makes me think of a quicky Earl Scheib low budget Resto, Like the floor plugs not looking factory original, Caster Camber bolt painted body color, Caster Camber access plate being body color, Radiator core support body color. Pet Peeves of mine. Usually done incorrect due to lack of knowledge. LEON. :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

When I see crappy welds like this on a 1/4 panel I would not call it a high grade Resto.  At least grind them down some before painting. I can slap a car together in no time if I did work like this. Here's a pic of a 69 Roadrunner 1/4  panel I spot welded. Roadrunner has J55 undercoat option so most undercoat you see is factory. I did replace trunk extensions along with 1/4's. LEON.

fy469rtse

You missed the rust tech caps to outer torsion bar cross member,
Yes that wiring looks extremely bad at bulk head,
I know it's hard to make it look neat, but you have to be not trying at all to make it look that bad 

six-tee-nine

have no spot welder but I did grind my welds properly. OK after the final bodywork you wont see any welds or something that looks like the factory did, but I dont consider my work "low grade" because it is is'nt 99.5% factory looking.

I guess what bugs most of us here is the way the work was done related to the asking price.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

hemi-hampton

Quote from: six-tee-nine on June 28, 2014, 11:12:04 AM
have no spot welder but I did grind my welds properly. OK after the final bodywork you wont see any welds or something that looks like the factory did, but I dont consider my work "low grade" because it is is'nt 99.5% factory looking.

I guess what bugs most of us here is the way the work was done related to the asking price.

I consider it low grade because he did not grind them at all, not because they are not factory looking. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

The higher the price the more nit picky...I'm sure u guys would not complain if he asked for 15k. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TUFCAT

Ghoste

Of course there'd be no complaint at 15k, thats the whole point.  If you ask perfection price you have to offer perfection product.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on June 28, 2014, 04:59:23 PM
Of course there'd be no complaint at 15k, thats the whole point.  If you ask perfection price you have to offer perfection product.

That's the exact problem.  Many of us "fault finders" (myself included) would be really happy for a friend buying this Charger for $35K or even $40K.  I'd certainly be willing to point out the cars "issues" to help him make a educated purchase before signing on the dotted line, but at the end of the day if he paid (even $30,000 less than) the asking price - I'd be ultimately happy for him.  He'd still be in a decent price range to justify the costs to make things "right".

The moral here is: for $30,000 less we'd be congratulating a new buyer, instead of shitting on this overpriced car!  :icon_smile_wink:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 28, 2014, 05:36:25 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 28, 2014, 04:59:23 PM
Of course there'd be no complaint at 15k, thats the whole point.  If you ask perfection price you have to offer perfection product.

That's the exact problem.  Many of us "fault finders" (myself included) would be really happy for a friend buying this Charger $35K or even $40K.  I'd certainly be willing to point out the cars "issues" to help him make a educated purchase before signing on the dotted line, but at the end of the day if he paid (even $30,000 less than) the asking price - I'd be ultimately happy for him.  He'd still be in a decent price range to justify the costs to make things "right".

The moral here is: for $30,000 less we'd be congratulating a new buyer, instead of shitting on this overpriced car!  :icon_smile_wink:

Yeah, what they said. LEON. :shruggy:

TUFCAT

The bid is now up to $45,400 {reserve not met}. That's more than I think its worth :eek2:..... Reserve over 45K??  Really?

Now I'll just shut up and watch. :popcrn:

1974dodgecharger

I once sold a car and told all buyers the issues with it they thought i was scamming them.  I then sold another car once in my life and lied my ass off telling people how great the car was and ever potential buyer thought i was the nicest person ever and honest.  WTF?

Challenger340

Pretty interesting Auction for me ?
I am always curious as an Engine Builder in my business... to know just what "quality", or more importantly the "specifications" to which these supposedly "Numbers Matching" high dollar restoration 440 Magnum Engine have been "restored" to ?

just say'in....
I have now literally "blown the doors off".... THREE supposedly concourse restored FAR NICER Cars than this one on Ebay, with my "bone stock"(as in never rebuilt or out of the car for any reason), untouched 133,000 original mile 440 Magnum.
As beautiful as the Cars themselves were.... absolutely NO CONTEST, and very "embarrassing" for the proud Owners.
My Point being.... and granted a little off-topic
but IMO,
very conspicuous with many of these restorations, is the complete absence of detail to restoring any of the Original Factory "performance" to the Engines ?
** FORGET the Block serial number being "matching" to the Car.... what's the point ?....  if it was rebuilt incorrectly by people who don't know any better, and it can't get out of it's own way ?

SO SAD !

Only wimps wear Bowties !