News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I had this back for one month, one car show, then this, update 12/8/14

Started by 8WHEELER, June 26, 2014, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Dan, have you actually seen this two-guys estimate? Is it an itemized estimate, with parts prices, labor, refinishing hours, listed parts suppliers, etc?? I'm thinking a resounding NO.
If not, then it's not accurate at all.

You are insured with a good carrier. Let them come look at the car to assess the damage, and also his insurance. The BEST thing you can do is to work with the estimator/adjuster. Have parts prices/suppliers researched BEFORE they get there. If you can get a screen printout of parts from AMD with prices, great. Supply them with as much info as you can. Hardest part to research may be the grille because it is used only. Perhaps eBay listings or online forum ads. Print them.
Be there if you can when they inspect the car. SHOW THEM ALL THE DAMAGE RELATED FROM THE IMPACT.
You have to keep in mind that the estimator may not be writing collision estimates on '68 Chargers very often (more than likely collisions on current vehicles), so he/she may not be well-versed on these cars, parts suppliers, etc.
In NJ, you are free to take your vehicle to the shop of your choice. Insurance companies may have shops they work with, each company has their own version of a direct repair program. They may refer you to them, but you still have the choice where you want your car repaired.
Good luck! :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70 sublime

Get the guys that just did the car for you to give you a price
They will know how much work it will be to get it back the way it was
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

8WHEELER

Quote from: bill440rt on July 03, 2014, 06:52:33 AM
Dan, have you actually seen this two-guys estimate? Is it an itemized estimate, with parts prices, labor, refinishing hours, listed parts suppliers, etc?? I'm thinking a resounding NO.
If not, then it's not accurate at all.

You are insured with a good carrier. Let them come look at the car to assess the damage, and also his insurance. The BEST thing you can do is to work with the estimator/adjuster. Have parts prices/suppliers researched BEFORE they get there. If you can get a screen printout of parts from AMD with prices, great. Supply them with as much info as you can. Hardest part to research may be the grille because it is used only. Perhaps eBay listings or online forum ads. Print them.
Be there if you can when they inspect the car. SHOW THEM ALL THE DAMAGE RELATED FROM THE IMPACT.
You have to keep in mind that the estimator may not be writing collision estimates on '68 Chargers very often (more than likely collisions on current vehicles), so he/she may not be well-versed on these cars, parts suppliers, etc.
In NJ, you are free to take your vehicle to the shop of your choice. Insurance companies may have shops they work with, each company has their own version of a direct repair program. They may refer you to them, but you still have the choice where you want your car repaired.
Good luck! :cheers:

Hey Bill

That was one of the big problems I have now. I told the guy that runs the shop, that was in touch with the insurance company. To let me know when his
adjuster was going to be there, because I needed to talk to him. The shop promissed me three times, he would call me for sure. I call them at noon today, and
he tells me the adjuster had just left an hour ago, boy was I pissed. My adjuster is next, I am going to take the car to the shop that I want to do the job, or
my own house, I am not missing this out on this inspection.

And no, I never did see the estimate from the two man shop. There inlays another problem, the shop forman told me very sketchy parts about that estimate, and
he did not mention it said of replacing any parts. So I just wrote it off in my head. Now the problem is, the forman gave that ''out of the blue'' estimate to the adjuster  :rotz: so
now I am afraid he is going to take the low low ball quote, and set his thoughts, that it is a close bid, and I will have a bigger fight. But State Farm will deal with
him.

I am printing out AMD replacement parts needed, for the State Farm adjuster, hood, fender, lower valance, grille cage, on and on, and hope for the best.

I wish I could find original factory parts in great shape, AMD is doing well, but every part damaged was the factory part that came on the car. Except
most of the grille.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

resq302

Didn't have a chance to read all of the 6 pages yet but the damage does not line up.  He said that it was on the lift or by the lift.  You have damage to the left front quarter of your car and the other vehicle had left rear damage.  There is absolutely NO WAY that damage could have occurred.  I could see if it was your right front and hit the left rear of that SUV, that could line up.  If they were to hit the left rear of that SUV with your left front, they would have had to been coming and clipped the side of the bumper first on the SUV.  Either way, document EVERYTHING and notify the police immediately!  Then notify your insurance company and even put a lien on that company to make sure your car gets fixed or have your insurance company put a lien on that company.  Either way, they are responsible and it just totally sucks.

Best of luck with the recovery and resto process on this as that is an amazing color! :pity:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

8WHEELER

Quote from: resq302 on July 04, 2014, 12:49:45 AM
Didn't have a chance to read all of the 6 pages yet but the damage does not line up.  He said that it was on the lift or by the lift.  You have damage to the left front quarter of your car and the other vehicle had left rear damage.  There is absolutely NO WAY that damage could have occurred.  I could see if it was your right front and hit the left rear of that SUV, that could line up.  If they were to hit the left rear of that SUV with your left front, they would have had to been coming and clipped the side of the bumper first on the SUV.  Either way, document EVERYTHING and notify the police immediately!  Then notify your insurance company and even put a lien on that company to make sure your car gets fixed or have your insurance company put a lien on that company.  Either way, they are responsible and it just totally sucks.

Best of luck with the recovery and resto process on this as that is an amazing color! :pity:

The SUV he hit was on a drive on lift, in the down position, so it was five inch's ofF the ground. The problem was, he was about 30ft behind the SUV, as he was getting ready to turn, his turn
was to the right, not the left, so he was basically directly behind the SUV, when he lost control. The front bumper of my car went under the SUV bumper on the lift, you can see it did not push my
bumper back, it just bent it down hitting the trailer.hitch,  Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan

hemi-hampton

Surprised a hit that hard did not push the SUV right off he lift. LEON.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 04, 2014, 02:43:41 PM
It would have, the guy isn't being honest.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

8WHEELER

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 04, 2014, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 04, 2014, 02:43:41 PM
It would have, the guy isn't being honest.

It might have, the SUV was out in the parking lot, facing a wall when I got there two hours later  :shruggy:

Dan

bill440rt

I think it's safe to say the shop owner seems like a shady character.
He moves the vehicles, without ever calling the police for an accident report?
He has some two-guy operation give an estimate, & does not show it to you or state EXACTLY what's on it?
He then gives this estimate to an insurance estimator? (I would hope the estimator has enough knowledge to know it is inaccurate.)

This doesn't add up.
Get your car out of there.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

I think the scene was manipulated & a fake scene staged to hide the truth. :Twocents:

Baldwinvette77

Out of curiosity what was the mileage when you dropped it off, and whats it at now?  :scratchchin:

8WHEELER

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on July 04, 2014, 08:24:37 PM
Out of curiosity what was the mileage when you dropped it off, and whats it at now?  :scratchchin:

That is actually an interesting problem. When I restored the dash cluster, I used one of my NOS tumblers. I made sure it was set at ooooo all the way, because
the actual mileage was not that important to me, seeing as I changed the tumblers, and had no plans on selling the car. Well after the first drive, I noticed
somehow, it seemed to be going back words, it was reading something like 99,987.7 or close to it. My plans were to take the dash back out after the gear install, and
try and figure out how this could happen.

Dan

sanders7981

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 04, 2014, 09:04:38 PM

That is actually an interesting problem. When I restored the dash cluster, I used one of my NOS tumblers. I made sure it was set at ooooo all the way, because
the actual mileage was not that important to me, seeing as I changed the tumblers, and had no plans on selling the car. Well after the first drive, I noticed
somehow, it seemed to be going back words, it was reading something like 99,987.7 or close to it. My plans were to take the dash back out after the gear install, and

Dan

Are you saying they out it up on jack-stands to try and pulls off a "Ferris Beuller" Ferrari Mileage mod?   :rofl:

I hope it all works out for you, I can't stand shady businesses. 

8WHEELER

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 04, 2014, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 04, 2014, 09:04:38 PM

Dan

Are you saying they out it up on jack-stands to try and pulls off a "Ferris Beuller" Ferrari Mileage mod?   :rofl:

I hope it all works out for you, I can't stand shady businesses. 

Is that was my only problem   :cheers:  I would be a happy guy.

Dan

chargerman69

I know a guy with couple hoods but am in canada even shipped from detroit be alot

Ryan

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 03, 2014, 12:53:09 AM
Quote from: Ryan on July 02, 2014, 10:49:16 PM
Very sorry to read this.   :'(

As for the $3,700 quote, it sounds like you need another quote from a shop that knows what they are doing. That amount is laughable at best.  Who is your insurance carrier?

At the moment the shops insurance agent, as of today, is starting a work up. That estimate was from a local two guy shop, that these trany guys happen to know.
I still have not talked to those body guys, and have no intention to now. My State Farm agent will be taking over this joke.

The shop has Zurich Universal Underwriters Insurance, I had never heard of them before, but the two body shops I know have had good luck with them.

Zurich tells me I can take my car anywhere I choose for the repairs as of today. So that shop with the low bid will not be used   ::)

Dan

I had a feeling it was something like that.  Glad your not getting suckered into using the shops buddy to do the repairs. Several years ago my hood latch failed and my hood flew up. My hood and hood hinges were toast. My quote was not to far off from yours and it was just to replace a hood, hinges and paint the front end.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

UFO

Dan
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your car.
MPH  & KPH speedo's have different odometers.
I did not compare to see what gear makes it turn the oposite direction.

8WHEELER

Quote from: UFO on July 05, 2014, 08:12:52 PM

Dan

Sorry to hear about your car.
MPH  & KPH speedo's have different odometers.
I did not compare to see what gear makes it turn the oposite direction.
[/quote]

I would have thought going from MPH  & KPH, that the Tumbler would have larger/or smaller gear, depending
on the country  :yesnod: not rotate a different way.

Dan

472 R/T SE

Dan, please PM me your address. 

Hopefully you're gonna love what I have for you?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 01, 2014, 06:15:27 PM

Are you coming up to SIR?

Dan

Seattle International Raceway or Pacific Raceway?  You must have been questioning showing for Mark's DC.com meet?

My neighbor & I just took the tarp off the Charger.  Hopefully tomorrow I can start cleaning on it & getting ready for my car club's last ever car show this Sunday.

It's a shame, Chrysler R/T club has been around since 1971.

8WHEELER

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 09, 2014, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 01, 2014, 06:15:27 PM

Are you coming up to SIR?

Dan

Seattle International Raceway or Pacific Raceway?  You must have been questioning showing for Mark's DC.com meet?

My neighbor & I just took the tarp off the Charger.  Hopefully tomorrow I can start cleaning on it & getting ready for my car club's last ever car show this Sunday.

It's a shame, Chrysler R/T club has been around since 1971.

Yep, I wanted to know if you were going to make it up, for the get together. You thought you might. Yes, I will always call it SIR   :popcrn:

Good luck with the car, and the car show, that's a shame. The last time I drove my car ''almost a year'', you were there at the show, and beat my ass.

Later Dan

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

8WHEELER

Well a long time coming, but not a fun subject I suppose. Took the car to the shop in late July, they painted my red Charger in 99. He is a collision
shop, so he can only get to the car when it slows down, and that is not often, so all of what has got done was on Saturdays.

The good news is, I got State Farm involved as I wanted to. They worked with the body shop, and the estimate went from
$3700 with the Trany shop, to 21k with State Farm and my body man.

So I was happy with that for sure. The check got to me in two weeks, another bonus. But as I said the waiting came continues.

So far it is looking better that I could believe. We did a pull on the frame rack, and most of the real scary damage looked much
better than I thought. These pics are from one pull on the fender, then look at the before pictures, Evan the hood looks much
better with little work. But we still bought a new AMD hood, fender, grille cage and lower valance.

Dan

myk

Things are moving in the right direction at last.  Hang in there...

fy469rtse

Good to hear and see Dan,
It looks a lot better with that pulled out,
That front bar looks repairable , so does the valance , my tip on those repop parts  :Twocents: bolt everything up first dan , need a little bit of tweaking , you will see
Watch the finish to leading edge of fender to door opening , bit of finishing need , hammer and dolly work
But very good news to hear you got enough to repair it properly