News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 charger Ac compressor removal

Started by texas charger 73, June 29, 2014, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

I want to take the factory Ac off my car. I need the brackets to remount alternator but I can figure out how to remove the Ac pulley and clutch.  I don't need to change anything else correct just remove compressor? Do I need another pulley for alternator belt?
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

John_Kunkel

The A/C and non-A/C pulleys are all different.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ODZKing

Does it not work? Is it missing parts.
I just spent a fortune getting mine to work, I can't imagine why anyone would remove it!!  Hmm!   :shruggy:

texas charger 73

All parts are there. Condenser could be replaced, but I don't want to have to pay to get it all hooked up.  It might be smart to do so living in Texas, but it's all original parts. Wouldn't I have to have it converted anyways.
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

Dino

You don't have to although it would be wise to convert it to R134a.  When you do this the rubber hoses would need to be changed for barrier style hoses.  your local A/C shop can likely take your old hoses and make them into barrier hoses.  I changed the old compressor to a new Sanden type but the old RV2 can be made to work just fine.  If you keep it running on R12 then all you need to do is clean it all up, put a new $20 expansion valve and drier in there and done.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

Hi,

If I were in Texas this time of year, I would sure want working A/C. As Dino said, the easiest thing to do on these systems is keep it R-12. R-12 will work the best, giving maximum cooling. If the system is now empty I would first check the oil level in the compressor. The FSM gives you instructions on how to do this and make up a little dip stick that goes into the oil fill plug on the lower left side of the compressor. If the system is empty, there is a leak somewhere and I would replace all the old  O rings in the system. Then change the receiver /drier. If the compressor oil level is low or dirty I would remove and drain the compressor and refill with clean oil.

You can convert to R-134A but, it is more work to do it properly than bringing the system back up on R-12. I would advise you to stay far away from the Wall Mart type conversion kits in a can. They are known as "Death Kits" and can really mess up an A/C system.

If you want to get your A/C back up I'll be happy to step you through it.