News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting closer, starting the final body work at last! ****Mission Accomplished**

Started by timmycharger, June 25, 2014, 09:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Im restoring this car sort of the long way, due to funds, I couldn't go the route of having a shell painted and sent back to me to assemble.  It took me over 5 years to weld quarters, floors, trunk and the front of the roof so after all of that I painted the trunk area, engine bay, roof and jams. The front/rear suspension and brakes are completely rebuilt, the interior is almost done, most of the glass is in, the vinyl top is on,  now Im at the point of getting blue paint on the inside of the deck lid, hood, doors and fenders, and primer on the other. Need to hit the inside of the doors with black too.  I had all of those panels sandblasted and shot with DP90 a few years ago.  The quarters need to be taken back down to metal again as after welding, I coated them with primer, but that was years ago and I don't want to take any chances.  

The goal is to have this all done by Late August or September, before it gets too cold. Last weekend I started building the frame of my garage paint booth. I need to have the garage door stay functional but I didn't lose too much space. Ive been looking at different setups online and I think Ive got the venting/filters sorted out.  Here are a few pics of the frame, Ill post pics as I go as this will be a long road.

crj1968

Color looks great- good luck getting it finished- i sure look forward to seeing it done.   :2thumbs:

I spot a pistol grip on the wall.   :icon_smile_big:

timmycharger

Thanks!, Ha! ya thats a pistol grip on the wall, figured it was a good place to keep it from getting scratched  ;)

I know B7 is not correct for a 68, but neither is the sixpack motor thats going into it.  The car is originally a 318 auto, but I converted it to a 4 speed.

Some older pics I found of the metal replacement from years back, man Im glad thats overwith  :icon_smile_cool:

timmycharger

timmycharger

Alright, a couple more old ones. Forgot about the warpage on the passenger quarter, that was sorted out later though. A shot of it prior to the resto, that was taken in 02, right before the madness began.

timmycharger

:icon_smile_cool:

fy469rtse

Keep posting  :2thumbs: keep at it , good work going on here :popcrn:

marshallfry01

It looked pretty good in those before pics. I guess there was some nasty rust hidden under the paint? You've came a long way and it looks great. At least you know how all the body work has been done now. So no more of those nasty surprises!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

timmycharger

It didnt look too bad from about 20 feet, but it was very rough actually. both front floors were completely rotted, both lower quarters were rotted with about a half inch of filler covering a mess. The front of the roof had giant holes just covered with filler and the vinyl top. both sides of the c pillars around the rear window were gone, had to fabricate them, the trunk and extensions were completely rotted. Luckily the fenders, hood, decklid and doors were in decent shape, minimal patches needed. Framerails were actually really good.

I started with just converting to a 4 speed, then things got out of hand after that once I started peeling back the layers.

wish AMD was around when I started this, I ended up using all Year One sheet metal which was ok, but not ideal.

timmycharger

Got the doors finished, fans mounted and the plastic up. Next week Ill finish the flap doors to get in and out, then Ill get the parts down from the garage loft and the fun begins  :cheers:

Ghoste

Musicman

timmycharger

That would be my brother in laws 72 Ford Maverick, he was over doing some work on it.

timmycharger

Got the parts down from the garage loft and me and my brother in law started on the scuffing of the DP 90. Next is the filler and sealer.

sanders7981

Looking good!  I too have taken the long road to restoration.  I am at four years now with nothing but the drivetrain and fuel system to put in.  I too did all the work myself due to not having th funds to pay for a restoration.  Best thing is at least you know what's done to the car and total satisfaction when you turn the key on to drive it for the first time!   :cheers:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

six-tee-nine

I'm having simlar plans for my own self build paint booth.

I really like the idea with the inlet filters. I have an old set of fans laying around to do just the same as you are doing.

I also did some sand blasting in my shop under plastic foil, god am i glad I have that part behind me.... its nasty is'nt it.
You can save alot of coin by doing all this stuff yourself but the road is long I know. I'm a bit jaleous, I need to do some small metal repairs before I can start blocking and painting and I also still need to put in a new roofskin when I get the shell of the rotisserie.

You are doing a hell of a good job there. Stay on track now the funn stuff starts.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

timmycharger

we did some more work on the panels this weekend, got the decklid pretty straight, just have a few spots that needed a second pass of filler.  I know it looks like a lot of filler on there, but we sanded most of it off, there is a paper thin layer on it now but I know it will be straight.

The hood needed a good amount of work. First I had to add adhesive to the inner frame structure as none of the original goop was holding anything anymore. Once its all painted, it will disappear. A coat of filler was put on on the trouble spots, but overall the hood was very flat, Ill be sanding that out during the week.

I added a pic of some of the products Im using on this, I know some of you may not like the Omni stuff, but we sprayed the engine bay, trunk area and jambs with it and I thought it had excellent cover and needed minimal work post spray.  Its very cheap too which is a plus, after 6 coats including clear, it will be fine.  The 5 star primer/sealer was highly recommended by the auto body supply place as its great for bare metal as well as the existing DP90 that is on the panels, you just have to slightly change the mixing formula.

Slowly but surely things are happening   :yesnod:

timmycharger

:cheers:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

timmycharger

Doesnt look like we did alot this weekend, but actually it was several hours of blocking the decklid and hood. The decklid is 99% done, just need to sand out the spoiler area of the decklid as it still a bit wavy, put one final skim coat of filler on that area last night.

The hood is looking great, just 2 small spots that were filled again and need to be blocked then its on to the fenders next week. The good news is that the hood and decklid needed the most work, the fenders and doors wont get touched too much until they get hung on the car as I dont want to touch body lines until its all in one piece. The front valance will need some massaging, but not too bad, we are still on schedule.

Hopefully in about 2 weeks we can shoot sealer on all the panels and get some blue on the inside. Once all of that is done, the car gets pushed into the booth to sand down the quarters, cowl and panel between the back glass and decklid down to bare metal before being hit with sealer.  Then I get to hang the panels and start blocking the quarters, doors and fenders while on the car!  :icon_smile_big:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House