News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OH CRAP! My 727 rev. solenoid is stuck!

Started by b5blue, June 25, 2014, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

So I finally get to using my 70 Charger to go to work after fixing a bunch of stuff and getting the tranny overhauled back to stock specs and the darn thing screws up trying to get home! It was running great, nice and smooth after 19 years of driving with the 727 still set up modified for drag racing. No more high rev/bang shifting just nice "normal" road manners. So I back up and click my new Winters Sidewinder shifter into drive and it feels like the emergency is not just on but getting tighter! After checking the E brake I back up and slip it into neutral while rolling and it free wheels a few feet, nope not a brake dragging. This time I go into low and all seems fine but as soon as I click up into 2nd there is the binding again....crap! After checking kick down linkage and fluid level are good I limp home at 15/20 MPH stopping a few times the 2 miles home. I was lucky traffic was just building to rush hour. Called my good buddy Steve at Trico Transmissions and he knew just what is going on. (It was his 1st car, he had it about 16 years and I bought it from him 19 years ago.) No worries Steve will fix it, the car was the shops dedicated drag racer for 8 years and gets nothing but love from he and his crew!
  I just wanted to share the info as I was fairly crapping my pants wondering what the heck was going on. The car gave a slight hint a few weeks ago, it felt almost like a U joint was binding for just a second one day. I checked them and actually re greased the entire car front to back while at it and everything seemed fine.
  If ya ever detect anything similar to what I described, a binding or resistance in drive or second shut it down your reverse is engaging while going forward and it's bad news to keep going! Steve said it not uncommon in tow trucks or 727's worked hard and mine has/was flogged many times in the past! I'd have called a tow truck but forgot my phone in the Jeep and everyone was gone after work so I hope I didn't mess up the new rebuild. (It seemed fine in low?) Jeez 19 years this last April and ya think ya know what's what with your car!   :eek2:

b5blue

Okay the car is on it's way, I think the correct name is "servo" not solenoid.  :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

The rear servo piston can become cocked in its bore and won't release the rear band. There are a couple of piston mods to help prevent such occurences but a billet piston is the best way to go.

If it ever happens to you and there's no repair facility nearby you can sometimes remove the pressure test plug from the outside of the case , reach inside with a skinny screwdriver and pry the piston back into alignment.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Priceless to know in a desperate situation, Thanks John! I found what your talking about on eBay for about 50.00. The piston has a Teflon stabilizer and is machined to seal outside of the bore wear pattern.  It's designed to fix this and if I'd had any clue it might be an issue even down the road I'd had Steve install one.  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Talked to Steve about the Superior Transmission modified steel reverse servo and one will be installed first of next week. Thanks John!  :2thumbs: (We both agreed why chance it.)