News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aftermarket tranny cooler, experiences

Started by hemi68charger, June 24, 2014, 07:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I'm going to put a tranny cooler in the ole' Daytona with the 426 Hemi transplant. Being that cooler will be in the nose, I don't need to fork out the big bucks for the reproduction version ( even with that said, I would still have to modify it like Creative would have done originally ). I do have OEM tranny lines for a cooler. Any good experiences with coolers? Unless it is totally not a good idea, I was going to mount it to the radiator. Is it better to have spacers to create space between to the radiator and cooler? The OEM tranny lines going into the nose have 5/16 flare fittings.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

firefighter3931

Troy,

The best cooler available, bar none....is the B&M stacked plate unit.  :2thumbs:

Chris (Just69Charger) installed one in his car and made it look just like a factory installation. Hopefully he will see this and post some pics  ;)

Some guys mount them right to the rad with rubber spacers but i prefer to build brackets and mount off to the side. The Daytona has limited airflow and I don't think you want to block off the center of the radiator.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Ps. Found an old pic showing the offest mounting on my car. The brackets I fabbed have the trans cooler spaced about 3inches forward of the rad core on the passenger side.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 24, 2014, 08:33:01 AM
Troy,

The best cooler available, bar none....is the B&M stacked plate unit.  :2thumbs:

Chris (Just69Charger) installed one in his car and made it look just like a factory installation. Hopefully he will see this and post some pics  ;)

Some guys mount them right to the rad with rubber spacers but i prefer to build brackets and mount off to the side. The Daytona has limited airflow and I don't think you want to block off the center of the radiator.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Ps. Found an old pic showing the offest mounting on my car. The brackets I fabbed have the trans cooler spaced about 3inches forward of the rad core on the passenger side.

Thanks Ron..  :2thumbs:

I will get one of those, I trust your judgement and experience. My challenge is fabricating a mounting system that doesn't modify, too much, the existing sheetmetal of the nose. Hopefully I can utilize existing points. My gut reaction was to position it in space away from the radiator. It'll be mounted slightly to the driver's side like an OEM mount.

Which version do you use? I see various models:
70266  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Medium, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black
70274  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Large, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black
70273  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Small, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black

Then there looks to be a kit with maounting hardware included....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

firefighter3931

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 24, 2014, 09:02:15 AM
I will get one of those, I trust your judgement and experience. My challenge is fabricating a mounting system that doesn't modify, too much, the existing sheetmetal of the nose. Hopefully I can utilize existing points. My gut reaction was to position it in space away from the radiator. It'll be mounted slightly to the driver's side like an OEM mount.

Which version do you use? I see various models:
70266  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Medium, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black
70274  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Large, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black
70273  Oil Cooler, Supercooler Small, NPT Fittings, Plate Type, Black

Then there looks to be a kit with maounting hardware included....

Troy, I used the large #70274 with some fittings and nipples to attach to the factory lines with high temp braided lines. Not stock looking by any stretch of the imagination.  :lol:

I believe Chris used the same one but made some brackets and fabbed up hard lines....and it looks fantastic. Going off memory....i'm thinking his cooler is mounted on the driver side.  :scratchchin:

These coolers don't need to be in a direct air path either....think of it as a big heat sink that just dissipates heat. Superior design to the tube & fin which works much better with direct airflow. The stacked plate B&M coolers just don't seem to care about it as much...

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 24, 2014, 09:29:12 AM

...These coolers don't need to be in a direct air path either....think of it as a big heat sink that just dissipates heat. Superior design to the tube & fin which works much better with direct airflow. The stacked plate B&M coolers just don't seem to care about it as much...

Ron

Ron,
With that said, then I could always mount it perpendicular to the radiator, parallel to the z-bracket of the nose. This may open other mounting options.....
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes I did indeed use the larger cooler 70274.  Here is a thread with some pics....

I opted for a cleaner install by routing both lines through the holes in the rad yoke instead of one going over the rad support....   :Twocents:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26951.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Still fits good even with the AC condenser in there now ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

WHITE AND RED 69

I've got the smaller 70273 cooler ran in series with the radiator. So far has been working great.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

My buddy with his own tranny shop warned of any lines using hose instead of steel tube! Any leak would be a direct leak out of fluid as the return line feeds the entire transmission. You can get compression fittings rated for automotive steel lines if needed.  :2thumbs: