News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake problem..

Started by Arkgl01, June 23, 2014, 03:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

My dad has a 68 charger RT it has a little bit of a cam. Guy said it was a purple cam shaft with good lope. Only problem now the brakes are weak and no one knows how to make it stop better. They said it doesn't have enough pressure now for the brakes. It has disc up front and drum in the rear and all parts look just fine. Can anyone help with what we need to do?
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Windsor

Running a booster? If so, how are the brakes with the engine off?
Have you tested the master for an internal leak? Clamp off the rubber lines, press on the pedal. If its good, the pedal should be hard.
Checked the rubber hoses for expansion when pressing the brakes?
Does it have residual pressure valves in the line? Disc should have 2lb and 10lb for the drums.
Assuming the wheel cylinders and caliper pistons are good.

My brakes weren't working for crap, then put in RPVs and now it stops great.

Mopar Nut

You can switch to a Hydroboost Conversion if it's your vacuum caused by your cam.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Arkgl01

I have had several brake guys look at it and say everything was fine... just doesn't stop hard at all.
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

terrible one

Do you have a vacuum gauge handy? I would start with checking the reading at idle  :yesnod:

Cooter

How long have you guys owned it?
How many big crammed 69 Chargers have you guys driven?
What are you comparing it too? A newer car/SUV?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

I have a purple cam as well, no vacuum or braking issues though.

As stated, hook up a vacuum gauge and take it from there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.