News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seems I may have an electrical issue, intermittent of course!

Started by jasonjb75, June 01, 2014, 10:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonjb75

Here is a quick preview.  I have a '69 Charger which has been converted to the Mopar electrical ignition and also has a new control module and ignition relay.

Okay so here is the crazies!  If I were to head out to the garage now the car would crank and fire right up, BUT from time to time when I turn the key it doesn't even crank.  When the key turns to acc the stereo comes on and when you got to start the stereo shuts off like it should but nothing else happens, it doesn't even crank.  Like last Tuesday I took my car to work which is about a 45 minute drive and it started fine.  Came out after work and it fired right up and I drive back into town for a haircut.  Cam out after the haircut and boom nothing  :brickwall:.  I walked home and came back with some friends to push it so I could catch it in gear and for crap luck I turn the key and it fire right up.  I took it to golf the other day and it did the same thing after it sat for four hours while I played a round of 18.  SMH

Anyone have any suggestions because it getting to the point I am afraid to take in anywhere for fear it will let me sit.  Carlisle is coming up and I'm worried about taking it out there with my 6 yr old son again for fear we will be stuck somewhere.

Please any help, suggestions, or ideas on where to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger - 383HP w/ 4-Speed

green69rt

Just a place to start.... maybe the starter.  When you turn the key, I assume you don't even get a click, right?   So check the starter connections (maybe a wiggle test to begin.)  If nothing then the grounds.   They seem to be a point of bad connection on these old cars.  Lift the ground wire, clean under the connection and the wire end, both.   Then check the battery connections.   A bad connection or ground may give enough power for the radio but not enough for the starter.

If you turn on the headlights when you can't start the car, do they operate ok??  If they work good, then the problem may be with the starter connection, if they are really dim then the battery or the grounds.  

If no luck you might try the old screwdriver on the starter contacts to see if the starter has a problem.

Like I said, a place to start.

Edit.. just read that you got the new ignition relay...may need to short across the relay, to see if the engine cranks.  I'd try the connections first.

jasonjb75

Awesome!  Thank you so much, I'll add that to my list of things to look at.  I'll let you know what I find!

Pete in NH

Hi,

If its an automatic trans. check the neutral start safety switch and wiring. The switch is on the transmission and if you can move the shift lever around and get it to start , I would check the shift linkage adjustment.

Also, check the bulk head connector pins for corrosion. Corroded and burnt connector pins cause all kinds of electrical intermittents. Remove the bulk head connectors and reseat them several times. If the problems go away, it's time to clean up those pins. 

green69rt

Quote from: Pete in NH on June 01, 2014, 11:47:27 AM
Hi,

If its an automatic trans. check the neutral start safety switch and wiring. The switch is on the transmission and if you can move the shift lever around and get it to start , I would check the shift linkage adjustment.

Also, check the bulk head connector pins for corrosion. Corroded and burnt connector pins cause all kinds of electrical intermittents. Remove the bulk head connectors and reseat them several times. If the problems go away, it's time to clean up those pins. 

Does a 69 have a neutral start safety switch??

Pete in NH

If it's an automatic trans. it does. The same switch is also the back up light switch.

Canadian1968

Sorry to clarify , you said new ignition relay ??? So is that the starter relay on the fire wall or the ignition key in the dash??? Which ever it is , would check the other one

Hop Head

I recently had the same problem with my 69.  It was the connector for the neutral safety switch.  It was just worn out, the female pins were loose.  I bought a new harness, and haven't had a issue since. 

jasonjb75

Would I have a neutral safety switch on a four speed car?

Pete in NH

No, you might have a clutch safety switch. The 70 wiring diagram shows that switch but a 69 diagram only shows a neutral safety switch for the automatics. That does not mean there isn't a clutch switch on a 69.

jasonjb75

At first thought I don't think there is one because I often start it without using the clutch

jasonjb75

Well after all your help, direction and diagnostic suggestions I finally narrowed it down to the ignition relay.  I am picking one up at NAPA today to fix the problem and get the car ready to head to Carlisle in a few weeks.

Thanks again to everyone.

thedodgeboys

Remember you can always jump the starter relay under the hood to get her to crank with the key in the run position just make sure it's out of gear or the car will leave without you.