News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator fire!

Started by Paul G, June 22, 2014, 07:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Had the Charger out for a drive today. Parked it back in the garage, raised the hood checked things out as usual. No problems, I left the hood open and went in the house. A little later my wife gets home and comes in the house yelling and calling my name. She is tells me the car is on fire! I run in to the garage and smoke is coming out of the engine bay. The smoke is coming from the alternator. The car has been parked and turned off for more than 1/2 hour already. I grab some wrenches and remove a battery cable. The smoke subsides, luckily it did not flame out yet. We caught it just in time.

You hear stories all the time of cars catching fire while parked. Car-B Ques they call them on the radio around here. This was the first time I have seen a fire start like this. I removed the alternator and found the "positive" terminal post, the output terminal on the alternator, was burning through the insulator to the alternator case. The wire that conects to this terminal post goes through the dash and eventually connects to the battery. The amp gauge was removed a long time ago. The alternator output wire was upgraded to 10 gauge a long time ago as well.

I just hope the fuse-able link would have eventually burnt open before the garage and house went up in flames? Lord only knows. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

lasvegas69charg

Glad to hear no flames. I do the exact same thing after every drive, pop the hood and check everything out. I'll even check under the car for any leaks. Did you have a high output alt?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

charge69

WOW !!  That is scary !!  Really glad you were home and got to it in time !!  With the alternator smoking, I would've thought the fuse-able link would have popped already !!  

Anyway, glad you caught it in time and there was minimal damage !!

Paul G

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on June 22, 2014, 07:59:49 PM
Did you have a high output alt?

It is a round back style. I would not think it was any type of hight output, dont know for sure.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

tfdub

Every time I put the car back in the shop after a drive, I pull the positive battery cable off the battery just to be safe. Maybe a cutout switch would be the way to go.
Terry

myk

Quote from: tfdub on June 23, 2014, 12:33:28 AM
Every time I put the car back in the shop after a drive, I pull the positive battery cable off the battery just to be safe. Maybe a cutout switch would be the way to go.
Terry

I do the same.  Glad there was minimal damage Paul...

Drache

Clad the charger is safe!  :o
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ITSA426

That's happened to me twice over the years.  Check your voltage regulator, especially if you have the points style regulator.  I always disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when I park the car.

billssuperbird

I all ways unhook my battery when I park at home.

bill440rt

VERY glad to hear the Charger AND your home & family are safe!  :o

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 23, 2014, 07:14:34 AM

Same here, whenever I park the car. Those battery quick disconnects with the thumbscrew up top are good to have. Get a good quality one.  :yesnod:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on June 23, 2014, 07:20:24 AM
VERY glad to hear the Charger AND your home & family are safe!  :o

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 23, 2014, 07:14:34 AM

Same here, whenever I park the car. Those battery quick disconnects with the thumbscrew up top are good to have. Get a good quality one.  :yesnod:

Good advice.....i also use a disconnect and kill the juice when stored. Sounds like an internal short  :eek2:

Glad you caught it Paul  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dodge Don

c00nhunterjoe

Great... now im going to be paranoid!

twodko

Very relieved your car is OK! Wow, what a fright that must have been.

I use the exact same batt disconnect Ron pictured. Cheap, cheap cheap insurance.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

NHCharger

Quote from: twodko on June 23, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
Very relieved your car is OK! Wow, what a fright that must have been.

I use the exact same batt disconnect Ron pictured. Cheap, cheap cheap insurance.

X2. All three of my Chargers have one. Cheapest insurance you can buy.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Paul G

If I use a battery disconect it will present other obsticles. I have a battery tender plug hard wired to the car. The plug hangs inside the grill, not noticable at all, easy plug in. That wont work anymore. The radio needs power to maintain it's settings, that wont work anymore.

What gets me is why the alternator stud fried in the first place? Is it poor quality rebuild parts? Poor quality rebuild procedures? Inferior materials used?

Last week we were on an evening road trip with some people in the Mopar club. A friend, Ron, has a 67 Coronet convertable. He darts off the highway at an exit. Two of us follow him of the highway. His ignition died. Either the engine jumped time, or the aftermarket spark box died. It has a pointless ignition installed in the stock distributer. This is a profesionally restored car with only 2000 miles on it since the restoration. Everything is new. Seems like the replacement parts we buy today are so inferior it's nuts.     

cptjohn

So what's a good way to get at the cause of the problem?  Disconnecting the battery isn't the cure.  Just the preventive coverall.  Not trying to be a smart ass, just wone ring how to fix it.
1970 Charger RT clone in waiting

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Paul G on June 23, 2014, 04:21:35 PM
If I use a battery disconect it will present other obsticles. I have a battery tender plug hard wired to the car. The plug hangs inside the grill, not noticable at all, easy plug in. That wont work anymore. The radio needs power to maintain it's settings, that wont work anymore.   

Ask yourself what's more of an inconvenience?, resetting a radio? connecting a battery? or calling the Insurance companies to see if your home owners and collector car policies are still in effect, and when can the the claims guy come over to assess the fire damage,...you escaped this one this time, others haven't been as lucky, I NEVER leave any vehicle in my garage with any electrical power applied to it, this includes battery tenders/chargers, I've seen too many vehicles damaged by exploding batteries, melted harnesses, even split cases on batteries being charged,leaving a mess of acid in the engine compartment, along with too many vehicles lost to fires, as well as homes, work shops, garages, etc over the years, even after parking a vehicle and disabling  the battery, I still make periodic checks during the hours it sits cooling off in the garage, so there's no chances of fuel/heat related fires as well, as I want to sleep well that night, and be able to awaken the next day, not die in my sleep, or kill my family over a "toy"... :Twocents: :cheers:

Mike

crj1968

Man, close call for sure. Time to install a battery disconnect for sure.

Pete in NH

Paul,

To keep your radio, clock and battery tender alive, I would put a 5 amp fuse in an in-line holder between the bolt on the negative battery cable clamp of the disconnect switch and ground. That will provide a low current path to keep small things working but blow if the current demand goes above 5 amps. I would make it an easy fuse holder to change the fuse because if you forget to close the main disconnect switch and try to start the car it will blow for sure. Carry a spare pack or two in the glove compartment.

And yes, today's parts in many cases are pure junk. Between cheap Chinese junk and quick, sloppy workmanship from people trying to maximize their profits things are getting really bad.

Stegs

yes I just had a new battery and voltage regulator put in mine, I read this post yesterday and went home and disconnected my battery. My alternator is getting rebuilt tomorrow, I will ask if there is anything they can do for safety reasons

also going to add quick disconnects for the battery......I don't have anything computer that resets....so no issue for me!

bill440rt

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 23, 2014, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: Paul G on June 23, 2014, 04:21:35 PM

Ask yourself what's more of an inconvenience?, resetting a radio? connecting a battery? or calling the Insurance companies to see if your home owners and collector car policies are still in effect, and when can the the claims guy come over to assess the fire damage,...you escaped this one this time, others haven't been as lucky, I NEVER leave any vehicle in my garage with any electrical power applied to it, this includes battery tenders/chargers, I've seen too many vehicles damaged by exploding batteries, melted harnesses, even split cases on batteries being charged,leaving a mess of acid in the engine compartment, along with too many vehicles lost to fires, as well as homes, work shops, garages, etc over the years, even after parking a vehicle and disabling  the battery, I still make periodic checks during the hours it sits cooling off in the garage, so there's no chances of fuel/heat related fires as well, as I want to sleep well that night, and be able to awaken the next day, not die in my sleep, or kill my family over a "toy"... :Twocents: :cheers:

Mike

Great post.
This is EXACTLY the reason I put quick disconnects on my cars. When parked for long periods of time I remove the batteries from the cars completely & put a Tender on them out of the vehicle. It takes less than 3 minutes to remove the battery.
No need to worry about radio presets with a factory push-button radio. But the SecretAudio unit in my '69 retains ALL the settings when the battery is disconnected so that is yet another benefit of SecretAudio.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger496

I've been meaning to do the bulkhead bypass for a while. Mine's a daily driver most of the time, so pulling the positive every time I come home just isn't practical. Maybe more practical than a car fire, though...

cudaken

Paul, check into buying a Radio Saver, they plug into your cigarette lighter. We used them when I worked at NTB when replacing battery's in new cars. Newer car radios will stop working if they lose power, an anti theft thing. Radio / Car has to go to the dealer to be resat for around $100.00. :shruggy:

Call your local NAPA, they should know what you are talking about. You will need one that has a wall transformer, or you will have to change the battery often.

Glad the Charger is OK!

Cuda Ken  
I am back

1974dodgecharger

I hear some folks disconnect the pos and some do the neg.  I once disconnect the pos one time and reconnected and got a freakin spark like crazy just because someone told me to disconnect the pos instead of the neg. 

So which is right? 

I always do neg now...