News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a new alternator

Started by Paul G, June 22, 2014, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

The story why is here;
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,111398.0.html

It was a round back style, 2 field wire type. I want to go with something better, and I have to stay with the stock style to use the March serpentine pulley set. The March brackets wont mount to a Denso alternator best I can tell from the pictures of a Denso.

Choices are;

Remaned square back from Napa, Oreilly, etc., 75/78 amp output rating, $55 to $60 range. Probably junk??

Powermaster 75 amp square back. I believe these are still remaned, just done by Powermaster for more than twice the price of Napa, Oreilly, etc. I dont know if they are really any better?

Summit Racing has New Tech brand 75 amp, Powermaster 75 amp, and Tuff Stuff brand 100 amp. Any experience with these? Junk or good stuff?

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

1974dodgecharger

Paul,
After killing my batteries left and right and just accepting my alternator was the weak spot and still upgrading to denso 120amp max It was not enough for me in my car.  3 electric fans roughly 15amps each estimate, 60amp amp, among other things that eat up amperage like crazy in the car and wanted a direct fit I opted and bit the bullet for a qualitypowerauto setup Ron the owner was more than helpful and great customer service.  I intitally ordered 140amp idle 200amp max and after talking to him about idle issues still he let me upgrade for 50 bucks to the 180amp idle and 320amp max setup.  My life has been so much better and my voltages don't drop with radio on, fans, lights, everything I can idle at 13.8volts in AZ heat and once I hit the gas she instantly hits 14.4 volts before cant say enough im very happy.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=557

Pete in NH

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear your house and car are safe, that was a close call! I would check the fusible link over carefully. It should be on the 5/16" stud on the starter relay to a single wire connector on your 72. It might have started to melt and is now compromised. Fusible links were cheap, but they are unreliable as to when they will melt which is why I tend to favor newer fuse technology like Maxi-Fuses.

On the alternator choices, yes, chain store rebuilds can be junk. If you have a good local rebuilder or auto electrical shop near by they could do a custom rebuild for you, new bearings , brushes, clean up the slip rings and new diode assemblies. I think you would them have a good solid unit. The round backs were only good for about 45 maps maximum. A rebuilt stock square back would give you 60 amps. I don't like the idea of going over that in a stock electrical system.

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 22, 2014, 10:36:44 PM
Paul,
After killing my batteries left and right and just accepting my alternator was the weak spot and still upgrading to denso 120amp max It was not enough for me in my car.  3 electric fans roughly 15amps each estimate, 60amp amp, among other things that eat up amperage like crazy in the car and wanted a direct fit I opted and bit the bullet for a qualitypowerauto setup Ron the owner was more than helpful and great customer service.  I intitally ordered 140amp idle 200amp max and after talking to him about idle issues still he let me upgrade for 50 bucks to the 180amp idle and 320amp max setup.  My life has been so much better and my voltages don't drop with radio on, fans, lights, everything I can idle at 13.8volts in AZ heat and once I hit the gas she instantly hits 14.4 volts before cant say enough im very happy.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=557

180 amps?  Jeez I bet you don't even need the engine to move the car, lol...

1974dodgecharger

yeah you know myk I had to after driving around Phoenix area looking at every pep boys for alternator 13313 they were all different find one and realized it as not enough juice for me.  My whole system was being taxed my amp was 60amps which ate up most of the alternator already add in fans and guess where that amp is coming from, well the battery which means it was not charging one bit.....I needed it after bypassing ammeter and upgrading all wiring why not.

69wannabe

I have been running the powermaster 75 amp one wire mopar alternator on my charger for over a year now with good results. It was a bit pricey but I kept having regulator problems and went through several voltage regulators. The last one shorted out and burnt the voltage feed wire all the way back to the ignition switch. After re-wiring the ignition switch and running a new feed wire out to the ballast resistor I decided to find a way not to run an external regulator anymore. The alternator I bought was just a one wire and go one. Next plan is to send my cluster out to redline gaugeworks to get them to convert my ammeter to a volt meter and I plan to up the size of the wire for my charging system for the higher amp alternator that is on there now.

WHITE AND RED 69

I've been using the tuff stuff 100amp alt for the last 2 years and has been working great. Along with a painless performance maxi fuse and the amp gauge bypassed. 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster