News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake confusion

Started by keith88, June 14, 2014, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

My 69 has disc brakes but had drum booster and master it worked fine but was leaking so i just put the disc booster and master in it and went i went for a ride it has a very hard peddle i know this is a sign that the booster is not working but it dose seem to be holding vacuum according to the test but still the peddle is hard could the proportional valve be the problem if it is the wrong one ? And how would i test that ? :brickwall:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

fy469rtse

What part did you replace Keith, booster or master,
If you reused the drum brake master, they have small inserts in where your main lines go into master, these are to reduce the amount of fluid through

fy469rtse

Have a look at threads on here , use the search function,
I think they do have a special portion valve for disk brakes, I recently did mine and had a lot of trouble with valves being junk , did you bench bleed that master before install

keith88

Yes i  bench bleed the master and i replaced both master and booster as a unit. Bought them that way. I have noticed that i appear to have a leak in the positional valve  as well that i just found and probably was before to and i did not notice. The brakes worked OK before i changed the units. If i go buy looks it appears that i have a 72-76 disc brake valve in it according to a picture i found in it in my mopar classic int mag . ill post a picture of it dont even know it its the right one im finding a lot of half ass thing in it so i really dont know what i have and as you can imagine im not on talking terms with the guy i bought it from. The plan this morning is tho bleed the system from the wheel to see if i get good flow.

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

John_Kunkel

Be sure the booster pushrod is allowing the rear piston in the MC to fully return, if not the pedal will be hard.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

keith88

How would i check it? and i would think that being bought as a set it would be good. I also need a combination valve looks like i have a crack in mine and its leaking see the picture a couple up where can i get one like that anyone know?