News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric choke conversion kit for holley 3918

Started by 68charger440, June 14, 2014, 02:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Does anyone know what electric choke conversion kit to use on a Holley 3918?  I looked online and found kit 45_223, but I can't find anywhere on the Holley site to say if this is the right kit for that carb.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Ghoste

Is the number you found online a Holley number?

68charger440

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2014, 07:58:17 PM
Is the number you found online a Holley number?
I believe it is a Holley number.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

John_Kunkel

The 3918 is a factory Holley used on various '68 440's, it is intended to be used with a divorced choke so there are no provisions on the carb to mount an electric choke so the 45-223 (or any other kit) won't work.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68charger440

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 15, 2014, 02:38:47 PM

The 3918 is a factory Holley used on various '68 440's, it is intended to be used with a divorced choke so there are no provisions on the carb to mount an electric choke so the 45-223 (or any other kit) won't work.
When you say "divorced choke", does that mean a choke cable going inside the car under the dash?

Ghoste

It means there isn't anywhere on the carb to mount an electric one.

68charger440

Quote from: Ghoste on June 15, 2014, 04:57:30 PM
It means there isn't anywhere on the carb to mount an electric one.
So then is a manual cable controlled choke the only option?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 68charger440 on June 15, 2014, 04:52:10 PM
When you say "divorced choke", does that mean a choke cable going inside the car under the dash?

A divorced choke has the heat stove that actuates the choke butterfly mounted somewhere away (divorced) from the carb...in the case of Mopars, the stove is in the intake manifold crossover and actuates the choke butterfly via a connecting rod.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68charger440

Thanks, unfortunately I am  now running an edelbroçk performer rpm intake, so I guess I am out of luck unless I rigged a manual choke cable to the inside of the car.