News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cowl foam?

Started by Dreamcar, June 14, 2014, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I started removing my rusty cowl panel and noticed a foam between the spot welds. What type of foam is this and how do i put some back in when i start plug welding the new panel in? Isn't welding going to burn off whatever i put between the panels?
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Silver R/T

You want seam sealer not foam, foam absorbs water/keeps moisture and air in resulting in rust. You want to use weld through primer between two panels welded together.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

I believe the factory may have used some type of weld-through material as I don't see any other way they could have gotten it so thoroughly in between panels. Of course, they were using real spot welders too (probably a lot less localized heat than plug welds). I am using Picklex on the bare metal in the weld, epoxy primer (loaded up to flow into the seams), self leveling 2 part seam sealer (2 part foam if the gap is large), and then brushable seam sealer on top. I doubt it will leak or rust in my lifetime.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dreamcar

I think I'm going to use Chassis Saver (think POR-15) on the bare metal on the plenum before the newcowl is installed on top, and of course some weld-thru primer on the edges where the new panel and plenum are welded together by plug welds. Then, I'll use seam sealer on the outside edges.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Dreamcar