News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Autotrader commercial with duke boys

Started by chargerman69, June 09, 2014, 05:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 21, 2014, 08:51:52 AM
Quote from: tan top on June 21, 2014, 05:30:29 AM
its on Ebay too

imo this is what the GL should of looked like in the original TV show  :coolgleamA:  :Twocents:

That is what the GL looked like in the original TV show, more or less anyway (aside from the overly fat door numbers with the highly screwed up angle on one of the corners of each "0"); or are you referring to the interior? If so, the second-unit stunt cars on the original TV show had full roll cages similar to that.

Quote from: JB400 on June 21, 2014, 11:05:00 AM
I believe he was talking about how the "Hero" cars should have been portrayed.  Make them look more like a stock car instead of making them look like a "stock" car with graphics.

:2thumbs: :cheers: :cheers:
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 21, 2014, 03:44:38 PM

QuoteI believe he was talking about how the "Hero" cars should have been portrayed.  Make them look more like a stock car instead of making them look like a "stock" car with graphics.

I've always thought all the GLs should have been caged.  I was glad when the new movie did it that way. 

The simple GL rollbar looked like it was just there to give the impression of a full cage.  Easily changed in & out, doesn't clutter up the front where the actors live, etc. 

It got a bit less convincing when the interior was lightened and the rollbar went black in 1982.  The color changes were a nice looking combo but it revealed how simple the cage really was.   

While I'm correcting things the GL also should've had a gutted interior.  And a 4spd.  And steel wheels 8-10" wide.  And cut fenders for them.  And a "01" on the roof facing towards the passenger side.  Etc. 

yeah that's more fitting to what the GL should of looked like  :yesnod:
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 21, 2014, 03:44:38 PM

QuoteI believe he was talking about how the "Hero" cars should have been portrayed.  Make them look more like a stock car instead of making them look like a "stock" car with graphics.

I've always thought all the GLs should have been caged.  I was glad when the new movie did it that way. 

The simple GL rollbar looked like it was just there to give the impression of a full cage.  Easily changed in & out, doesn't clutter up the front where the actors live, etc. 

It got a bit less convincing when the interior was lightened and the rollbar went black in 1982.  The color changes were a nice looking combo but it revealed how simple the cage really was.   

While I'm correcting things the GL also should've had a gutted interior.  And a 4spd.  And steel wheels 8-10" wide.  And cut fenders for them.  And a "01" on the roof facing towards the passenger side.  Etc. 

:yesnod:   :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MaximRecoil

I hope whoever buys that car is happy with the instrument cluster and gauges as-is, and that the gauges, speedometer cable, wiring behind the dash, windshield wiper motor and wiper linkage, etc., never screw up, because, have fun getting the cluster out with that bar in the way. Also, how do you turn on the windshield wipers, or washers, or flashers? It looks like the headlight switch is still there, but I don't see any other switches.

That steering column is never coming out, not without some cutting. I guess the idea behind buying a car like this is to have something to look at rather than something to drive?

Mike DC

There is no point in paying a lot more money for a car with screen pedigree, and then erasing it all with a resto right away.  

Nice shiny GL replicas are everywhere these days.  Park 10 of those in a row at a show and people will walk past them to see the battle-scarred screen car.  

I suppose it could be argued that the car should be restored eventually.  It's not a TV-series car.  But they oughtta leave it as-is for at least a few years while the Auto Trader ad is still fresh in everyone's mind. 

Ghoste

Steering column drops so it should come out as normal but you're right, the rest is a pain.  I think it's likely destined to not be driven a great deal.

Ghoste

I'd definitely leave it as is.  There is a very real chance that it will be the last GL that Tom and John drive together.

JB400

Dash could come out through the windshield. 

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 22, 2014, 11:47:28 AM

Nice shiny GL replicas are everywhere these days.  Park 10 of those in a row at a show and people will walk past them to see the battle-scarred screen car.  

I can vouch for battle scarred cars getting attention....lol

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: JB400 on June 22, 2014, 12:11:48 PM
Dash could come out through the windshield. 

i don't think so, my car doesn't have a windshield and i couldn't fit it through, not with how i have my bars installed anyway  :-\

Ghoste

I think he is referring to removing the cluster not the whole dash.

JB400

If he's wanting to just remove the cluster, remove the screws, tilt it forward, slide it to the right, missing the down bar, and tilt it forward.

To install the factory cluster, I'd remove the outer bezel, insert the cluster, and then slide the bezel into place.  You'd just have to screw the bezel to the cluster from under the dash.  Where there's a will, there's a way. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

I'm doing an r&r on my cluster right now so I can assure they don't just pop in or out of there with ease.

JB400

Not once did I say it was going to be easy.

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on June 22, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
Steering column drops so it should come out as normal but you're right, the rest is a pain.  I think it's likely destined to not be driven a great deal.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary either pertaining to the steering column, looks like it should come out as normal to me as well.
The rest of the dash is cobbled together. The cluster is not stock & neither is the flat panel the gauges are set into so who knows if it's a pain to take out. A stock cluster? Yes that would be difficult. That one might not be a problem to maneuver over the bar.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Very true, there's even a good chance they put it in there after they were done welding the bar in.

bill440rt

I also agree that it's likely not destined to be driven a great deal, either.  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Ghoste on June 22, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
Steering column drops so it should come out as normal but you're right, the rest is a pain.  I think it's likely destined to not be driven a great deal.

The steering column won't drop; it has a loop welded around it to the crossbar above it. You can see it well in this picture:

Quote from: JB400 on June 22, 2014, 12:59:42 PM
If he's wanting to just remove the cluster, remove the screws, tilt it forward, slide it to the right, missing the down bar, and tilt it forward.

To install the factory cluster, I'd remove the outer bezel, insert the cluster, and then slide the bezel into place.  You'd just have to screw the bezel to the cluster from under the dash.  Where there's a will, there's a way. :2thumbs:

I'd have to see that done. Normally to get the cluster out you loosen the two 7/16" steering column nuts to drop it down (this allows you to pull the cluster forward enough so that the metal frame of the cluster can clear the opening in the dash frame in order to finagle it out the side), and in the case of this car, not only can you not drop the column down (because of that loop), but you have a few inches worth of bar sticking up above it, right square in the way. If that cluster doesn't have the deep metal frame behind it like a stock one does, then maybe it could be removed as you described, but I'd bet a fair amount of money that you couldn't put a factory stock cluster back in its place with that immovable steering column and crossbar in the way.

Quote from: bill440rt on June 22, 2014, 01:42:53 PM
I don't see anything out of the ordinary either pertaining to the steering column, looks like it should come out as normal to me as well.

See the welded-on loop in the picture above. That steering column is going nowhere without some cutting.

QuoteThe rest of the dash is cobbled together. The cluster is not stock & neither is the flat panel the gauges are set into so who knows if it's a pain to take out. A stock cluster? Yes that would be difficult. That one might not be a problem to maneuver over the bar.

Indeed.

Ghoste

Never saw that photo before, yes if that loop is welded to the bar everything changes.

JB400

I will admit that I overlooked the pic with the strap around the column.  In that case, I'd  :hack: the strap off, if I needed to remove the column.

But, like I said, I'm pretty certain that if you remove the bezel from the cluster, you can install the cluster.  I'd take the steering wheel off to get more room if I didn't want to remove the strap from around the steering column.

Ghoste

That strap is a strange addition, whats its purpose?

JB400

Probably to keep the steering wheel from ending up in your lap.

Ghoste

I could care less about it in my lap, try to keep it from going through my chest.  :lol:

Dreamcar

In case some of you haven't seen it, there's a behind the scenes video. I find it almost as cool as the commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwVpCduEP0

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on June 22, 2014, 03:48:17 PM
Never saw that photo before, yes if that loop is welded to the bar everything changes.

That puts a whole new paint job on things, now doesn't it?  :lol: :smilielol:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Dreamcar on June 22, 2014, 08:07:58 PM
In case some of you haven't seen it, there's a behind the scenes video. I find it almost as cool as the commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwVpCduEP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLRveAh68og

Just throwing this in for the hell of it..  :lol:

Mike DC

The strap is because jumping/crashing can tear the columns loose, especially on older cars that aren't secured as well.  It's a common stunt car thing.

The "Fast & Furious" crew has gone to putting bolt-in (strong & rigid) removable bars across the dash.  Seems like a better plan, although even just the ends of the bolt-in section would be enough to cause some trouble getting a whole dash frame out.