News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird 440 6 pack air filter question

Started by DoubleDlover, June 06, 2014, 02:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

I just bought one from a friend. In the mopar original box. # 2946 186.   It has the round hole metal side around it like original. But... The rubber is black instead of orange. what the hell?? Anyone seen this before?? ron

FJ5WING

Ive seen the black rubber filters, Not that common with the round holed filters unlike the mesh black rubber which seem to be available if youre looking.

I understand your frustration but the black I believe to be a mid-late seventies release.
wingless now, but still around.

62 Max

Like this,had it since the early 70's

Aero426

There are various iterations of OEM service filters over the years, black or orange rubber, round or mesh metal. 

DoubleDlover

yes that's what I have. would that be considered correct? or no way. and I suppose the value of that would be less then an orange rubber one?

hemi68charger

Quote from: DoubleDlover on June 06, 2014, 01:15:50 PM
yes that's what I have. would that be considered correct? or no way. and I suppose the value of that would be less then an orange rubber one?

I would say, unless you're going OE Gold and a car has to have date-coded correct assembly line parts, the black rubber/round hole filter would be perfectly fine......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 06, 2014, 01:42:28 PM

I would say, unless you're going OE Gold and a car has to have date-coded correct assembly line parts, the black rubber/round hole filter would be perfectly fine......

I agree.  No big deal.   Sounds like you have a real part and a vintage one too.

DoubleDlover

ok cool. I just didn't want to have to listen to "hey you have the wrong filter on your car" over and over again at a show or something. thanks

DoubleDlover

I can post a pic if it would help. I'll be honest I payed 50 dollars for it. I wasn't sure if I was overpaying since it was black. ron

62 Max

Put it on just to see,99% wouldn't notice the difference,and on another note in the past I've seen them go as high as $175,they are not that common.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on June 06, 2014, 01:47:04 PM

I agree.  No big deal.   Sounds like you have a real part and a vintage one too.

Just don't open the outboard carbs and have the old, fragile, paper disintegrate and get swallowed up by the engine!   :shruggy: :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

62 Max

Quote from: odcics2 on June 06, 2014, 03:07:30 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on June 06, 2014, 01:47:04 PM

Just don't open the outboard carbs and have the old, fragile, paper disintegrate and get swallowed up by the engine!   :shruggy: :Twocents:

This filter is as good as the day it s put in the box !! :Twocents: