News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New front disc brake conversion, brakes dragging

Started by DodgeChargerNeeded, June 27, 2014, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DodgeChargerNeeded

Ok I did a disc brake conversion on my 69 charger yesterday. It was a factory power drum brake car. I didn't swap the master cylinder like recommended now the brakes are dragging where it isn't drivable without the brakes burning up. I am going to order the correct master cylinder do I also need to order a new proportioning valve
Jeff

John_Kunkel

Drum brake master cylinders have residual pressure valves (RPV) that maintain pressure in the system even when the pedal is released, not compatible with most disc brakes. If you order a MC that is made for front discs and drum rears it will have a RPV in the rear system only (or maybe none at all).

There is no proportioning valve in a drum brake system so you don't need a "new one" since there is none to start with. Whether or not to add a prop valve to the system depends on whether or not one is needed....I'd wait and see if you have premature rear brake lockup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

Need to check and see if brake pedal rod is holding pressure as well after swap to correct master cylinder.
I'm notta fan of the mix and match kits that use GM. Master cyl. With aftermarket rotors and calipers.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DodgeChargerNeeded

I'm going to buy the correct mopar master cylinder off ebay and it has a new booster on it so hopefully after that I'll be ready to go
Jeff