News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever squeezed 24MPG out of their Hemi Ram?

Started by hatersaurusrex, April 04, 2014, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

MPG is an interesting thing.............Certain conditions will provide for really good MPG for a vehicle every once in a while. My 95 Ram 1500 with a 360  used to get 15-16mpg on the interstate long haul driving. I got 20mpg one time with it on a trip and that was the only time it did that. An occasional 17mpg but not often.   My 2005 2500 Cummins  I have really be watching and its an amazing machine compared to my old 95.  It will get 22.5mpg at 65mph all day long every day when not running winter fuel.  Screwing it down at 75mph on the interstate drops it to 20mpg and 70mph usually gets it to about 21mpg. Running it at 55mph kills the mpg on it. The rpms are right on the tork cliff and it hangs at 19-20mpg which still isn't bad for the truck but interesting to see what speeds do to it. Driving slower isn't always the best for MPG but running em hard doesn't help either. Putz'n around town with it has given me 16-18mpg averages with the exception of the winters using winter fuel and idling and then its down to 12-14mpg.  I am in the flat lands of Kansas so I am probably lucky compared to others for flat long stretches of road instead of other areas with curves and hills. I use an app on my iphone to record service/fuel stuff and its interesting to see the mpg average over time. There were certain months where it got about 3-4mpg less then my wifes little car running around town. And for a 4 door 2500 truck that's not bad at all.

Todd

Silver R/T

8 speed must really help, wish I could get 8spd in my 01 Cummins Ram.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Kern Dog

I've had the overhead console read as high as 24 mpg while driving 55 on flat ground. 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 with MDS. 3.55 gear 2wd Reg cab. I just cant tolerate that slow of a pace. I feel like I'd fall asleep if I stayed driving at that speed.

Silver R/T

I went camping last weekend and I pulled up at camp office/administration. I see older guy approach my truck and I thought he was park ranger at first. I opened up door and he says "Your truck is sure loud, and all these newer trucks are loud, way louder than mine" I was relieved knowing that I wasn't in trouble but then I'm thinking how is my truck loud, it's all stock 2001 Cummins 24valve 5.9L.
I see he parked his truck next to mine and I asked him which year is it. He says "oh it's 2004" I reply back "well mine is 2001"
He says "oh you kept yours in real good condition then, looks well cared for"
Then he says that his 2004 is 2WD and he gets 24mpg (which I find hard to believe, he probably goes off of computer-which usually lies)
He proceeded to tell me how he likes Dodges and used to be a Ford truck guy and once Ford dealership tried to screw him over, he went to Dodge dealer and got himself a Dodge and has been a Dodge guy since then.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722