News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Daytona(s) - what's the most recent news or updates?

Started by rainbow4jd, June 02, 2014, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbow4jd

You know - I was just looking at some of the old Winged Warrior stuff and it seems like its been decades since anyone actually updated the status of the 2-3 1970 Daytonas that Creative Industries were supposed to have mocked up.

I know one was supposed to be at Jerry Juneman's museum in Kansas - but I can't believe there aren't dozens and dozens of pictures available of it.   (I googled and all I found was the piece of crap clone with the rolling waves nose.)

Anyway - there was supposed to be three and I figured that in today's digital age - someone should have had a chance to look at these, photograph them, check the fender tags and build sheets.   

SO WHAT'S THE LATEST SCOOP?

Aero426

Like Richard Petty's "vinyl top" in 1968,  much of the 1970 Daytona story is an urban legend that will never die.

The purple car in Kansas was all but proven to be dealer assembled in period.   As far as I know, it's still in Kansas.

The watermelon car photographed at Chrysler when new is still unaccounted for and is probably lost to time.   There was some speculation that the wing had been found.   It's in a thread here on the board.

No other proven to be "real" 1970 cars have ever surfaced.     There was an alleged red one with lots of altered paperwork that was debunked several years ago.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

I got all the pics of that purple car in Kansas when it was up on ebay for sale.....I just gotta find 'em on my computer

(right click...save)

Bryan

rainbow4jd

Thanks - I kind of had the suspicion that they had proven to be fakes.   

My guess is the Watermelon car was probably recycled - as promo type cars of that era were often rebadged or reused in another promo form.    I'm sure they had other 1970 stuff they did and pulling a nose off and wing off were pretty minor conversions.

Just my opinion of course - I have no knowledge and just wanted to contribute to someone else's fantasy that THEIR 1970 Charger is the long lost watermelon car.   :slap:

odcics2

The old wing with green paint would be cool to see... Guess the trail on that got cold?? :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

But I do have something I believe Galen wrote in 1983 .The Rapid pack with Galen segment in the wingcar newsletter

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

that also says Galen will decode sheets for free, and now 30 years later we know that to be untrue as well  :smilielol:

Ghoste

Galen doesn't say he has any proof there at all, he says he INTENDS to prove it.  I'd say so far he's come up short.

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 03, 2014, 08:31:36 AM
But I do have something I believe Galen wrote in 1983 .The Rapid pack with Galen segment in the wingcar newsletter

Galen was just asking the same questions everyone else was at that time.