News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood Tach

Started by Sweet T, March 15, 2006, 10:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet T

Just wondering was there a hood tach option offered in 1969 on the Dodge Charger?  If there was is there anyone that makes a good reproduction?  Was this a second tach or was the tac on the instrument cluster deleted?
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

Khyron

I believe your thinking of the GTO. To my knowledge there wasn't a hood mounted tach for the Charger.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

8WHEELER

No hood tach's on Chargers, always in the dash. I have seen a few mopars that had a GTO or Firebird
style tach on the hood, but not my cup of tea. I did like it on the 68 Firebird I made my dad buy in 1980,
it was a good driving car as well, but that 400 was no match for my 440 in stock form.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Nacho-RT74

Just on 3rd gens were available on dealers I think. I have a 74 brochure with that option.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

doctorpimp

Dixco made the hood tachs for all the big 3 muscle.
They weren't factory on anything but Pontiac's and some Yenko cars (Deuce).
I don't think there's a repro avail.  They go for sale on eBay all the time, but they're usually expensive!  AND, most have to be repaired/recalibrated.
I always liked the look of them on the Poncho's though.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

doctorpimp

Here's a Dixco hood tach ad...with a Charger

Sweet T

Yeah that Dixco ad is where I got the idea that one may have been available on the car.  I guess I should have looked at the picture a little more closely.  I came across it quite a while ago. 

Thanks for posting the add.

doctorpimp

Quote from: Sweet T on March 17, 2006, 04:25:25 AM
Yeah that Dixco ad is where I got the idea that one may have been available on the car.  I guess I should have looked at the picture a little more closely.  I came across it quite a while ago. 

Thanks for posting the add.

No problem.
I'm sure parts counters at Mopar dealers had them available for install, if you wanted one on your new car.  Like today, if you want it, they will sell it to you :laugh:

Ghoste

They were available over the counter as part of Mopar's "Hustle Stuff" program (precursor to Direct Connection) but I'm not sure what year was the first one.  I "THINK" it was 1970 for the first time you get the hood tach.  I have an old Hustle Stuff catalog someplace so I'll try and find it and check.  They were being reproduced for a while but I believe they may have stopped.

Sweet T

Looking at the picture I  don't think I'll go with it anyways.  I have to get the dumb aftermarket tach out of the car.  I want to hook the tic toc back up.  I'll be asking questions on that soon enough, it didn't look like the shop manual showed all the wires to hook it up.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ghoste on March 17, 2006, 11:45:15 AM
They were available over the counter as part of Mopar's "Hustle Stuff" program (precursor to Direct Connection) but I'm not sure what year was the first one.  I "THINK" it was 1970 for the first time you get the hood tach.  I have an old Hustle Stuff catalog someplace so I'll try and find it and check.  They were being reproduced for a while but I believe they may have stopped.

Yep. Ghoste has it right.

The quality and accuracy of both the originals and the repops wasn't so hot. They served more for decoration than anything, and many would say they don't work too well as decoration.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."