News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suspension Kits?

Started by Chargerrt340, June 01, 2014, 09:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerrt340

I am looking to completely upgrade my front and rear suspension over the next couple of years. I am also debating on replacing the current power plant with a 6.1 or 6.3 hemi.

The rears I am looking at upgrade to coil overs and eliminate the leaf springs.

The front, I am looking for veteran advice. If I change over to the hemi I know i need to work on clearances for oils, steering, water, AC, .... and a new suspension kit will assist most of these issues. But which one is best.

Thank you in advance.
73 charger, 318, auto, 2.73 rear, 

I like the lost old school hot rod guy, intimidating muscle car vibe...I drive it because I built it and I know its bad ass... the kind that makes a mans jaw drop and a women's panties wet when you drive by... the car that screams respect..... to be continued...

myk

HPP

Certainly questions like budget, application, and results are relevant questions to ask and with the desire to go 6.1 or 6.3 you are showing a slant towards modern applications. However, before you dump $12-15k into suspension system, you might want to look at the upgraded stock set ups offered by Hotchkis and Firm Feel. The OEM Mopar design was years ahead of its peers at the time and is a good enough starting point to still be a very viable system even today. The three biggest short coming of it, low spring rates, inadequate shock rates, and bump steer, can all be easily corrected using off the shelf parts from the two vendors listed. Combine these with a modern, radial friendly alignment, and good tires, and you might be surprised by what old fashioned t-bars and leaf springs can produce.

pandamarie

I went with unlawful racing 4link setup for the rear, came with everything and is very heavy duty, coil over with 400lb springs adjustable for bound and rebound and a 1 1/2" sway bar. Was fairly easy to install and fully adjustable.
Front is magnum force extra heavy duty and they will set I yup for whatever engine you are planning on installing, 2 1/4" nascar style sway bar fully adjustable coil overs same springs as rear, enough clearance underneathe the car to put whatever oil pan you want and be able to remove it without lifting engine, lots of header clearance, I went with TTI 1 3/4" into 3". Steering is magnum force rack and pinion manual, 16-1. 
Also used unlawful racing subframe connectors and that came with a very heavy duty drive shaft loop.
All of it very easy to install plenty of adjustment to dial in front and rear suspension for street or any type of racing you plan on doing.

myk

The Magnum Force stuff looks very impressive, but I could imagine it's beyond the budget of a lot of owners, including myself.  I'm content with bolt-on parts to the factory suspension system; it's proven and friendly to the wallet as well.  At the end of the day, it's a good time to be a Mopar man...

Calif240

I have most of the Hotchkis stuff and love it... feels great and I can tell a HUGE difference. My car felt like I was driving a 20' bassboat before, now she's very respectable in my opinion. She feels better than many new cars in my opinion. You can get their TVS that includes everything, but there are a few things you can probably skip. I would not do the TVS and do the following in this order (if you chose Hotchkis, as others make good products too):
Front Sway
Torsion Bars
Sport Leafs
Rear Sway
Tubular A Arms
Steering Rods

I would then do welded frame connectors and/or torque boxes like US Cartool. I think by doing this you're spending money where you need to and getting the best bang for your buck while getting a massive performance improvement. Just my two cents...

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Chargerrt340

Good discussion. I am looking at spending some coin on this car slowly over the next couple years. I am looking at deleting the leaf springs and spending a couple grand on the rear coil over spring kit.

LOL maybe mopar was ahead of the game in 73, but if I can put a built, known, and more efficient 2014 suspension under the car, I will absolutely do it. Leaf springs, coils, and torsion bars are obsolete.

I was looking at the Magnaforce stuff, I like it! There are a few other brands I was looking at as well.

I know not everybody (including me) can spend lots of cash on restoring cars, but MOPAR's are not known for their cheap restoration. We spend 2-3 times more money on everything compared to ford and chevy owners. If I am going to do it, I want to do it right the first time, and have a kick ass car when its finished.

I like the lost old school hot rod guy, intimidating muscle car vibe...I drive it because I built it and I know its bad ass... the kind that makes a mans jaw drop and a women's panties wet when you drive by... the car that screams respect..... to be continued...

Back N Black

Quote from: Calif240 on June 10, 2014, 09:27:33 PM
I have most of the Hotchkis stuff and love it... feels great and I can tell a HUGE difference. My car felt like I was driving a 20' bassboat before, now she's very respectable in my opinion. She feels better than many new cars in my opinion. You can get their TVS that includes everything, but there are a few things you can probably skip. I would not do the TVS and do the following in this order (if you chose Hotchkis, as others make good products too):
Front Sway
Torsion Bars
Sport Leafs
Rear Sway
Tubular A Arms
Steering Rods

I would then do welded frame connectors and/or torque boxes like US Cartool. I think by doing this you're spending money where you need to and getting the best bang for your buck while getting a massive performance improvement. Just my two cents...

Terry
When you say its a huge different over the old suspension, are you comparing 40 year old worn out suspension to the new suspension? Because if you replace all old with new original, you will feel a huge difference.

xpbprox

I have the Alterktion from RMS on my 3rd gen, now its been on there for over a year but I haven't driven it yet. I can howevr say the fit and finish is awesome, it is worth every penny and I believe he can even set you up with the mounts you need for the Hemi.

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=264

myk

Quote from: Back N Black on June 12, 2014, 12:40:21 PM
Quote from: Calif240 on June 10, 2014, 09:27:33 PM
Front Sway
Torsion Bars
Sport Leafs
Rear Sway
Tubular A Arms
Steering Rods

Terry
When you say its a huge different over the old suspension, are you comparing 40 year old worn out suspension to the new suspension? Because if you replace all old with new original, you will feel a huge difference.

What he's trying to say is that the Hotchkis pieces take the handling to another level; the Hotchkis pieces don't replace the factory suspension, but augment them.  I had my suspension rebuilt with stock rubber bushings from PST just a few years ago.  That "helped" (not much IMO) but tacking on the Hotchkis pieces, I would put this car against a modern car of equal size and weight any day of the week.  The factory suspension on its own, whether its worn or in perfect condition sucks, period...

Chargerrt340

HPP

I guess my point is that a 2014 coil over conversion is not going to be hugely more efficient nor more highly effective than properly selected t-bars and leaf springs. They are a bit lighter over all and rates are easier to quickly change and dial in. However, in my experience 95% of mopar owners who do these conversions are not ever going to push the limits of a highly tuned stock suspension and do not race in classes where the light weight and quick change ability of a coil over is a benefit. If your plans include over the road racing and Ultimate Street Car types of events, then you may very well benefit from an update.

I have noticed many buyers rely on the suspension suppliers to spec out the compatible spring and shock rates and then are amazed at how much better the car feels. If the same analysis is applied to t-bars and leaf springs, the results can be similarly amazing. Heck, If seen comments on this very forum where a simple change in alignment specs have been eye opening for owners transitioning from skinny bias ply specs to a radial friendly spec.

For the last 100 years, there have only been 4 ways to suspend a suspension; leafs, torsion bars, coils or air. Anything you update to in 2014 is only going to be a variation of those four systems.

However, if the bling if a new system and coin spent to get there are important to you as the builder, then that is your prerogative. I'm just trying to point out that it isn't the only way to step up the capability.

Charger74

Something you need to consider and this is very important because if you are doing this on a 73, Alterkation is out, he does not make one for 73 and up, you would have to go with either the magnumforce or rebuild with Firmfeel and update.

HPP, how do you like the stuff from unlawful???  I was thinking of doing it when I had my 73..

Chargerrt340

HPP these are some of the things I am trying to decide. I personally like the old ladder / traction bar image, but want a car that will handle and ride like a new car. Our old B bodies can role in the corners!