News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering box ?'s

Started by 1st_charger, June 16, 2014, 09:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1st_charger

I was thinking I read somewhere that someone was putting a newer model power steering box out of a jeep into a 68 to 70 B-body has anyone heard of this and have a link to it? I cant find any info on it!  Thanks.

myk

Does it have to be from a jeep?  There are plenty of aftermarket choices for steering boxes...

1st_charger

No it doesn't I just remember seeing or hearing that someone was using one with a new hemi conversion for clearance.

HPP

I think what you have seen is a power steering pump and reservoir, not an actual box. I've seen a few of these covnersions used because of their compact size and minimal mounting mods.

The only boxes that will bolt in are the OEM style version, such as Steer and Gear or Firm Feel, or the newer style Delphi boxes offered by Borgeson that have been modified to bolt up. All of these "new" boxes are actually rebuilds or existing units. Firm Feel's units have a very good reputation and are very capable. The Borgesons are a new style recirculating ball box that is somewhat smaller and has more on center feel that require less boost like any late model box, but they are rebuilds with modified sector shafts and cases to mate with the mopar pick up points.

1st_charger

the main issue I have is the power steering pump that's factory on the 6.1 produces more pressure than the stock style box can handle.

Charger74

Quote from: 1st_charger on June 17, 2014, 12:16:35 PM
the main issue I have is the power steering pump that's factory on the 6.1 produces more pressure than the stock style box can handle.

I think you are looking for this:

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=142

They used a power steering box from a newer jeep because it is smaller and has the quick ratio.

twenty mike mike

Or this:

http://bergman-auto-craft.myshopify.com/

They have the 14:1 Delphi 600 which is already set up for a Mopar K frame and they have a modified Mopar type steering coupler available.

1st_charger

c00nhunterjoe

The newer pumps put out 1200-1400 psi. You can changd regulators to lower the pressure. Factory 6 cylinder cars ran 750 while the highest were around 1000.

While we are on the subject- shimming the old pumps to drop the pressure down to 700 psi drasticly improves road feel and onoy costs about 7 cents.....

myk

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 18, 2014, 01:17:25 PM
The newer pumps put out 1200-1400 psi. You can changd regulators to lower the pressure. Factory 6 cylinder cars ran 750 while the highest were around 1000.

While we are on the subject- shimming the old pumps to drop the pressure down to 700 psi drasticly improves road feel and onoy costs about 7 cents.....

Oh yeah there was a thread about that here a little while ago-what a great idea...

1st_charger

ok now you have peeked my interest I need to find that post on shimming.  thanks