News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 BB flywheel question.

Started by Edelbroke, June 01, 2014, 03:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edelbroke

Previous owner had engine rebuilt, reinstalled himself and never finished. I haven't had much time before today to see what it all still needs. Started to put the Zbar back on and while under there I noticed how far away the starter is from the flywheel. The car has its original 383 big block and 4 speed. The clutch and flywheel are new. The sticker is visible on the flywheel. SFI - L042856. Is this flywheel possibly for a small block or is the starter wrong? Thank you!

A383Wing

flywheel is wrong...all the starters are the same from 6cyl up to the 440 except the 4spd Hemi starters

idahogrumpy

Incorrect flywheel, clutch assembly for year of bell housing. I believe that bell housing was used in 69-70 and earlier set ups, 11" clutch. You could use a 71 and later big block bell housing. 10.50 clutch.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

A383Wing

both my 66 383's are 10.5" clutch assemblies

Edelbroke

Quote from: idahogrumpy on June 01, 2014, 05:16:40 PM
          Incorrect flywheel, clutch assembly for year of bell housing. I believe that bell housing was used in 69-70 and earlier set ups, 11" clutch. You could use a 71 and later big block bell housing. 10.50 clutch.

I'm going to pull the engine and trans to see exactly what's what before I order any parts. I thought I had the original bell housing. I assume this is the 130 tooth flywheel and I need the 143 tooth and probably a clutch matched to it.
I talked to the last owner and it seems like he just ordered parts from catalogue without knowing what was on the car ::)
I was hoping to hear the motor run in the car before I took it out to repaint the engine bay.
Might also disassemble the motor to double check everything...

Cooter

Looks like a 10.5" flywheel with 11" bellhousing.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Edelbroke

So do I have the incorrect bell housing? and would it be easier at this point to just buy the correct bell housing that will work with this fly wheel and clutch?

c00nhunterjoe

If the clutch and flywheel is brand new, then i reccomend buying a new flywheel. A blowproof would be best.

A383Wing

yer gonna need to give the part number on the bell housing so someone here besides me can tell you what it is

Cooter

Snap a pick of the TOP OF BELL HOUSING. There should be a raised ridge along the top on 11" unit.

10.5" will have no clearance ridge.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

that looks like a cast iron bell housing....now I'm more confused than ever...both of mine are aluminum

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Cooter

Yep, appears to be 11" unit. Can't really see that well, but look for casting numbers I guess to be sure.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on June 01, 2014, 05:25:08 PM
both my 66 383's are 10.5" clutch assemblies

Somebody changed them, being aluminum proves it...no BB aluminum bellhousings  until '70.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

re-checked with magnet...mine are steel...why did I think they were aluminum?