News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 intake gasket question

Started by troy.70R/T, May 31, 2014, 12:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I am getting ready to change out the intake on on my 383. I see that some intake/valley pan gasket kits offer intake gaskets  and valley pan together. Do I need both? all the intakes I have ever taken off only have a valley pan under them. what is the (extra) Gasket for? Also what is the insulation that I sometimes find between the intake and valley pan called? DO I need it? what is is called if I want to buy it? Thanks for any help. Its a beautiful summer day in Missouri to be working on a Mopar. :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Some folks don't trust the original embossed steel gasket to seal with aluminum manifolds so they use both the original and composite gaskets. Not really necessary.

The foil-covered pad under the intake is a "silencer", intended to dampen the resonance of the tappet chamber. Repops are available but only the "keep it original" fanatics seem to use them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

unless you have had the intake or heads milled, the gaskets will not allow the intake to be bolted down correctly...leave them off..just use the metal valley pan

cudaken

Never have used the extra gasket, don't think I ever will after 41 years now!
I am back

justcruisin

On iron heads and manifold I have only ever used the pan and some RTV. With the eddy heads and RPM manifold I did use gaskets as well as the pan, mainly to take up a gap. The 0.030" gaskets that came with the pan were to thick and I had to made my own out of thinner gasket paper.

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the info guys.  I think I will just use the valley pan and forget the insulation on this minor budget build.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Make sure to use silicone sealer on the ends where head, block, and intake meet, as well as on the threads of the bolts and on both sides around the intake ports. (Keeps oil leaks at a minimum).
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

troy.70R/T

I was wondering if I should use thread sealant on the intake bolts like I have used on the exhaust manifold studs. Or is the silicone gasket maker a better idea?

Cooter

Just long as it's sealed. You can use same type you used.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Quote from: troy.70R/T on June 01, 2014, 01:15:06 AM
I was wondering if I should use thread sealant on the intake bolts like I have used on the exhaust manifold studs. Or is the silicone gasket maker a better idea?

I have allways used the Permatex Ultra Copper high temp RTV on engine gaskets. Let it set up overnight and do the final torque down AFTER the rtv cures.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

troy.70R/T

Do you all use that on the threads or nothing or thread sealant on the bolt threads.

ACUDANUT

You only need it on the intake gasket (all the way around) IMO
Exhaust threads are another story.

troy.70R/T

Ok thanks. I should actually be able to start putting things together this weekend.