News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stay away from TCI

Started by General_01, May 24, 2006, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

I went against others advice on buying a tranny from TCI. I bought one eight years or so ago and it is still running strong. Last year I needed a tranny and decided to buy from TCI again. I bought the  Street Fighter tranny again and a TCI 3,000 stall converter. I only have a max of 1,000 miles on the tranny and it is toast. It looks like the converter caused most of the trouble. It looks like there is a hairline crack where the hub (where the tranny shaft goes in the converter) meets the converter. The hub also has a burn half way around that is about a fingers width wide, so it looks like the converter was rotating in an egg shape. This in turn made the shaft take out the drum.

So, I need to have the whole tranny rebuilt. Woo Hooooo! :flame: I have talked to TCI and I could send the tranny back for them to look at, but I ain't gonna do that. First off, they only offered a 90 day warranty. Second, my car would probably sit until August before I got the tranny back knowing my luck. Third, they couldn't do it right the first time. Another pricey lesson. I should have gone with Cope. ::)
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

dodge freak

I had their converter stock size and when I had my trans. redone I shipped it back and told them to give me more stall. 3 months later fluid was pissing out the vent hole we think. It was bad you could not drive it. I drop the trans and changed the seal and flex plate with a B&M unit. It still leak bad. So I drop it again and put a factory type police converter in and had no problems ever with it-been years now. Trans guy said TCI no good too but I thought he just wanted me to go to him but he was right I believe. I am the only one who drives it and it was 3 months later so it could not have been anything else. On your trans I bet they would say the kick down linkage was set wrong. It may have been,and even if it wasn't how can you proof it? Thats why those manual valve body's that have no linkage are nice. Not much can go wrong. If you get a trans like that from TCI or B & M it shift super hard. Had my valve body install by my trans guy and it shifts fast but not too hard. He won't say how he does it. Don't think he wants me to mess with it.