News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 switch to 1969 Charger

Started by Bowers, May 27, 2014, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowers

Now before you all go insane, hear me out.
I have a completely restored 1970 Charger that I picked up for the cost of a 1969 Charger rust bucket. It has been my dream since I was 5yrs old to own a General Lee. I want to switch the fenders, hood, valance, and grille with 69 AMD metal to get the proper look. I am not concerned with authenticity or all little items. These parts should switch out relatively easy yes? I do know about the electrical lights, blinkers, and hood blinkers as well. Just aesthetically is all I am wondering right now.

Thanks

JB

Homerr

There's the cost of the aforementioned parts on the front clip, are you selling the front clip of the '70 to offset?  The '70 rear side markers will be a giveaway, as will the rear tail panel. The seats and door panels are also different.

Personally, I'm not into the whole GL thing but when I see a '68 or a '70 version I do a double-cringe.  Even for non-GL Chargers - I look at changing the year on any 2nd gen as a real downside to the cars value.

Don't bastardize the dream, get what you want instead.

1. Sell the '70 for a profit
2. Buy a '69

Bowers

Thanks.
I just want to do the front end. It doesn't need to be an exact clone. Been looking for a 69 for a long time now and the prices are outrageous compared to what I paid for this, so i'm ahead even after I buy the parts. Most Generals weren't actual 69's as well. :) Just want to make sure everything is switchable.

viper r/t

Quote from: Homerr on May 27, 2014, 02:28:58 PM
There's the cost of the aforementioned parts on the front clip, are you selling the front clip of the '70 to offset?  The '70 rear side markers will be a giveaway, as will the rear tail panel. The seats and door panels are also different.

Personally, I'm not into the whole GL thing but when I see a '68 or a '70 version I do a double-cringe.  Even for non-GL Chargers - I look at changing the year on any 2nd gen as a real downside to the cars value.

Don't bastardize the dream, get what you want instead.

1. Sell the '70 for a profit
2. Buy a '69

X2!
Dont ruin the '70

Ghoste

Actually most of the GL's were 69's.  If you don't want a perfect replica I'd be more inclined to leave it as a 70 and paint it up as a GL, then if you do have to sell it at some point you won't have handicapped yourself.

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: Bowers on May 27, 2014, 02:37:56 PM
Thanks.
I just want to do the front end. It doesn't need to be an exact clone. Been looking for a 69 for a long time now and the prices are outrageous compared to what I paid for this, so i'm ahead even after I buy the parts. Most Generals weren't actual 69's as well. :) Just want to make sure everything is switchable.

Most General Lees where 68 chargers Because there where no more 69 Chargers :o.... They never used 70.. because they had to change alot more..
The Front Fenders and Hood you can't not use because this where different because of the Grill.. Sell the 70 Charger Buy a 68 Charger and make you're 69 Compleet...

Hands off the 70! :slap:

And 1 more thing.. If you want to built a General Lee make it correct! If not.. you will make fool out of your self.. Decals correct 69 Charger Correct.. I want to buil one to.. And I keep looking till I find a good 69 charger to start with... Only 69 for a GL! 
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

nvrbdn

i am assuming that the front clips could be swapped. the lights are electrical on the 70, and vacuum on the 69. so there would be several items to purchase to have the headlight doors open properly. i understand what your saying about not being able to afford the 69, i just like the 70 (my preference) but if your going to do it, do it as close to right as you can.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Bowers

Absolutely, I understand where you are all coming from and If I could find a mint 69 for less than 15k which is what I got the 70 for, I would be all over it. However, my mechanic and body guy said that the electric lights can be used with the 69 grill, it just needs some work? I have a line on both fenders, hood, valance, grill with assembly, and bumpers. Just wanted to make sure I don't have to hack up the front to make it fit. I will store the 70 parts if I ever sell the car. Easy on the opinions ;)

crj1968

Well since you are building your dream car, meaning it will never be for sale, instead of storing those 70 parts, you could sell them to me.

(specifically the passenger fender)    :icon_smile_big:

JB400

You'll have to excuse these guys.  There's going to be a lot of GL haters throwing in their  :Twocents:  Personally, I don't mind another GL running around :cheers:  However, the guy that you need to talk to about swapping a 69 front end on a 70 would be Cooter who just so happens to have done the same thing you're wanting to do.

What condition is your 70 in now? :popcrn:

Cooter

Quote from: Bowers on May 27, 2014, 03:01:19 PM
Absolutely, I understand where you are all coming from and If I could find a mint 69 for less than 15k which is what I got the 70 for, I would be all over it. However, my mechanic and body guy said that the electric lights can be used with the 69 grill, it just needs some work? I have a line on both fenders, hood, valance, grill with assembly, and bumpers. Just wanted to make sure I don't have to hack up the front to make it fit. I will store the 70 parts if I ever sell the car. Easy on the opinions ;)

My GL is pieces and parts from 68-70, but you will need a 68/69 headlight switch in order for the vacuum head light doors to work. The 70 was all electric.
all sheet metal will bolt on. You will have to delete the 70 side markers. (Rear?)

You will have to cut tge hole in firewall for the vacuum harness as well.
you will need 68/69 frt. Bumper brackets I think.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

No one has said anything bad about GL's JB.  :shruggy:

Troy

I'd say about 99.990% of people have no idea what a "correct" General Lee is. Most of the ones used in the show seemed to differ in the small details any way. It certainly didn't look like a 68 or 70 though. Those are obvious. From 50' and moving, the grill and taillights are the most noticeable.

With that said, appearance wise you are correct that the whole front clip needs swapped. The lower valance and lights from the 70 won't fit. The grill, grill frame, grill trim, fenders, hood, valance, and bumper all work together. To make that all functional, you need the bumper brackets, headlight wiring harness and vacuum lines, vacuum canister, headlight switch, valance lights, hood latch, and hood turn signals (wiring may be the same or similar).

The k-frame and sway bar are physically different but I doubt anyone will notice.

The tail lights are visually different but very close. If you have the trim panel around the lights it has to go and you'll need proper trim.

Inside, differences include gauges, dash trim, lower dash pads (plastic panels in 70), door panels, and front seats (and covers). Not to mention, the ignition was moved to the steering column so, to do it right, you need a whole dash and steering column.

For those who think a 68 swap is *much* easier... the fenders, grill, grill frame, hood, and hood latch are all different AND you have to change the marker light openings, weld in a tail panel, and relocate the lock mechanisms and reverse lights.  It's more than bolt on parts (like a 70 conversion would be). There are nearly as many differences between a 68 interior and a 69 as there are with the 70 (dash frame, dash pad, dash bezels, console top plates, door pads, seat covers, etc.).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

FWIW, mine has been for sale for about what you paid for that 70. And, it's already to enjoy. Needs a little work, but far from a roach.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

70 sublime

I think the original poster just wants to know if the sheet metal will fit and paint his car orange

Yes the fenders and hood will bolt on the same place
Will need the part that hold the head lights and hood latch and 69 grill

If you have the 70 now I would get the 69 grill and head light doors rounded up and see how hard it would be to convert the 69 doors to electric (might just be easier than getting all the vacuum stuff sorted out)

Your car go for it  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on May 27, 2014, 02:45:55 PM
If you don't want a perfect replica I'd be more inclined to leave it as a 70 and paint it up as a GL, then if you do have to sell it at some point you won't have handicapped yourself.

Best advice so far. 

Bowers

Thanks. Here is my car now

Bowers

Thanks Cooter, Do you have info on it that I could see? Also I am not concerned at this time with interior or gauges. Just outside appearance. Only Mopar guys will notice the marker lights and tail light trim. In my opinion of course.

Ghoste

Bowers

JB400

Your car looks pretty good the way it is now :2thumbs:

Bowers

JB, the car is in excellent condition inside and out. I really happened to be at the right place and right time, however, there is no love for this car. The General has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. May not be an actual but it will  be close when I am done.

tan top

looks a nice 70  , from the picture  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:    have you thought about having the front loop bumper blasted & painted orange , seen that done to a couple of general leed up 70 chargers  , with the wide push bar looks quite effective ,  will save on the expence on the 69  sheet metal & grill too etc  

good luck what ever you decide to do  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html