News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 switch to 1969 Charger

Started by Bowers, May 27, 2014, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D69charger

Would love to see some pics of this transformation!!  Made mine a GL but it was a real 69 and started out completely rotten.  Had to replace a lot of panels.... AMD has amazing product!  If the side marker lights really look out of place... do what I did and just fill them in.  It looks so much smoother and better without them.  Also make the car to what you like... no need to do the tan interior and make an exact replica unless that is what you desire.  Mine has all black interior and my custom touches.  I deleted the push bar... just didn't like the look of it on the car.  Point is make the car what you have dreamed about.

I was living in Canada during the build of my GL and know exactly how hard and expensive it is to find a 69 charger.  I was living in Calgary and found my car near Edmonton and cost me 5 grand and a 71 mustang project car to get the 69 that had been sitting in a field for 8+ years.  Where in alberta are you?

Bowers

I'm in Ontario. Thunder Bay, which is northern Ontario. Just spoke to the body guy. We're aiming for Aug 1st finish date. Pretty excited! :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Bowers on June 12, 2014, 01:09:49 PM
Have purchased the grille, bumpers, taillights. Am trying to find a hood, valance, and LH Fender in decent enough shape. Looking at new AMD metal and have some really decent prices, but the fender is sold out till probably August.  :brick wall:
Soooo Close

No one is going to notice the difference between 69 and 70 taillights. General public that is. Heck, I don't know the difference.

Ghoste

70 have a rectangular reflector just about the center of them. (just as an fyi)

DTB

If you are going to the trouble to change out the 70 tail lights, are you also changing the sidemarkers? From all the General Lee cars I see, I think they look the best with them all filled in personally.

Bowers

No, the markers will be 69 modified to fit the signal lights  ;) I was given the taillights when I bought the grille so I will either use them or sell them.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Ghoste on July 23, 2014, 08:07:15 AM
70 have a rectangular reflector just about the center of them. (just as an fyi)

The reflector was only on 70 Chargers built on or after January 1 1970 to meet new laws. The ones built prior to this had no reflector...visually same as 69.

Bowers

As of late last night we have decided to just fill in the marker lights. Like the look of none at all. However, we are now missing a LH fender and there are none available for a reasonable price. :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Just curious, but what is reasonable priced ?

Dodge Don

Quote from: Bowers on July 24, 2014, 08:24:07 AM
As of late last night we have decided to just fill in the marker lights. Like the look of none at all. However, we are now missing a LH fender and there are none available for a reasonable price. :shruggy:

Have you checked with the MTO? You may need those marker lights to meet code.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 24, 2014, 03:30:27 PM
Quote from: Bowers on July 24, 2014, 08:24:07 AM

Have you checked with the MTO? You may need those marker lights to meet code.

only on 71 and newer, same for reverse lights.  :yesnod:

Bowers

So finally finished the exterior this past summer. Will try the interior this summer.

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

TUFCAT

Personally I disagree with the concept of taking a nice '70 (best year in my opinion) and converting into a '69 General Lee.....but beyond that, what's "done is done" -  right?  ...and its not my car - so I can't bitch.  :-X

I'm sure you have a very nice General Lee that you're happy to own. Enjoy it

Thanks for posting the pics.  

Baldwinvette77

Cool, I loved it before, and im sorry to see it gone, But very nice General lee  :coolgleamA: I had a chat with a guy who had a very nice, rare, expensive Australian Xb falcon GT and he cut it up to be a mad max car, A shame to see it go, BUT atleast you and him own your dreamcars  :cheers:

JB400

nvrbdn

looks great. "you have done well grasshopper"
      I guess I was bored this morning and re-read the whole thread.  What a beautiful car it started as, and a beautiful car it became.
so, I gotta know,  how were the headlight doors done? which tail lights did you use? rear shots of the car? What seats are in the front now, and what is the plan for the interior? did we sell off the 70 parts, or keep them tucked away? will we be selling the interior parts?

ok, that's enough for now. you can't just do this stuff without pictures and constant explanations of how things are going. inquiring minds want to know.
           keep up the good work. :2thumbs:  love to see work being completed. :cheers:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ACUDANUT

Just curious, why is there no front markers.  They really help you to be seen at night. :Twocents:

Bowers

Thanks
Will post all the pics as I find time. We actually made a modification to the headlight doors using the motor from the 70 doors so it is electric open now. We put in 69 taillights that I had. I still have all the parts put away in a heated garage. The interior is still the 70 interior and am undecided on putting 69 stuff in or just dyeing these to the proper colour. Haven't decided on parting with the parts yet, know my wife wants me too.

ACUDANUT

I'd just leave the interior alone, unless it was blue or red.  It's not like it's the real deal, but a tribute.  I wish I had one like yours.  :Twocents:

jaak

JR

You turned a clean 70 into another General Lee replica??

Well, that's something, I guess.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Bowers

I decided to fill in both the front and rear marker lights as I liked the cleaner look.

Bowers

JR
I am the only owner in my town with a General Lee. There was no sentimental feeling towards the 70 at all and it was purchased for this purpose solely for this reason. I have always wanted a General since I was 5 and saw it jump Rosco's car. I also have a 6yr old son who loves driving in it and smiling the whole time. I would not change that for anything in the world. I could care less about changing the look of a 1970 charger. :2thumbs:

Bowers

Just re-read my post and it comes across as if I'm angry. Just know that I am not offended by anyone's opinions and completely understand them as well. All opinions are valued.

thanks